Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't install Flash player 14 on 10.8.5

Jul 11, 2014 Jul 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got the dreaded message that flash player was out of date. So I downloaded the latest flash player 14. When I launch the install I can select my preference for update then the download start but it fails during the install between 75% and 83%.

I have uninstalled Flash player ==> no good

I have followed the instructions on Flash Player Help ==> no good

I have selected anywhere in system preferences/ security ==> no good

I have tried another user ==> no good

I have downloaded another installer provided in the above link ==> no good

Not sure what to do next.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Jul 12, 2014 Jul 12, 2014

I had the same problem. This was working: Why is the Flash Player installer crashing on OS X 10.8.5?

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same issue on OSX 10.9.4. The installer successfully downloads files, but then gives an error that it was unable to finish the installation. I've followed all advice from Adobe with no luck, including restarting as well as uninstalling flash!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem for me on OSX 10.9.4.  Uninstalled old version and did a clean install.  One page suggested emptying trash, making sure the folders for Flash were not in Internet Plug-ins folder, but still fails, as for akavango.  Looking for a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2014-07-12 at 12.51.11.png I'm affraid that failed too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2014 Jul 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked! Thanks Pat!

Surprised Adobe published a faulty installer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, that was interesting.  The directions on the link Igor Stravinsky gave included some things about creating an empty mach_kernel file.  I couldn't get Terminal to do that, but went ahead and tried to install the update anyway.  In trying to do that, I found that I had problems with the permissions on my Mac (I'm not really sure what that means), so using disc utility, I fixed those.  I then installed the update, and retried installing Flash.  It worked.  Whether it was the update for OSX, or repairing the permission issue, I don't know, but it's fixed.  Thank you, Igor Stravinsky and akavango.  Much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 20, 2014 Jul 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I've tried everything including other links proposed here about the mach kernel option but they failed. And this link has solved it!! Great!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem. This was working: Why is the Flash Player installer crashing on OS X 10.8.5?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bingo, that worked!

Thanks a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, but even if that works for OSX 10.8.5, it doesn't sound like something that would work for 10.9.4.  Any suggestions for this version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aaw follow Igor Stravinsky info but instead download the 10.9.4 combo update  OS X Mavericks 10.9.4 Update (Combo)

Create the mach_kernel file before installing the update.

I hope it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

I've tried the steps suggested by Igor Stravinsky and installed the update package for Mac 10.9.4 to no avail. Each time I try to install the flash player update I get this pop up stuck at 0% progress. Any suggestions for what to do next would be greatly appreciated!

Screen Shot 2014-07-13 at 11.36.25 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 14, 2014 Jul 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

The mach_kernel file is a required OS X system file.  It is usually a hidden file, however, Apple has previously released updates that exposed the file, which resulted in some user unknowingly deleted a required system file.  If this file is missing Flash Player cannot be installed.

Installation failure may or may not be happening because of this issue.  Can you please provide the contents of the FlashPlayerInstallManager.log file located at ~/Library/Logs (this is the user's Library folder, not the system Library folder).

Thank you in advance.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 14, 2014 Jul 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2014 Jul 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me!! THANKS SO MUCH!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2014 Aug 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks peasoup19. I tried the procedure outlined in

Why is the Flash Player installer crashing on OS X 10.8.5?

on two Macs running 10.8.5 (with the update), a Mac mini and a MacBookPro. Both got no further than the "Retrieving install" step. Downloading the Installer file you linked to worked fine and was actually quicker than the normal Adobe routine.

Why doesn't Adobe just have a proper installer DMG file, like the one you linked to? (a rhetorical question)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines