• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there an easy way to swap the order of body pages?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2014 Jul 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a document which is just two sides of A3 with a bunch of custom text frames all over them (the sort of thing that is probably easier to do in InDesign, to be honest, but...)

I've realised that I'd prefer "page 2" to be "page 1" (i.e swap the order they appear in) - is there a way to do this in Frame? (other than by manually adding a page 3, copying and pasting everything off page 1 onto it, then deleting page 1)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 15, 2014 Jul 15, 2014

Not really. You could try cut & paste in a MIF version, but it's probably just easy (and safer) to do it in FM as you indicated.

Alternatively, if the content is ok and it's just the page order that's the issue, then it's a lot easier to drag&drop PDF pages in Acrobat when in the Thumbnail view.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not really. You could try cut & paste in a MIF version, but it's probably just easy (and safer) to do it in FM as you indicated.

Alternatively, if the content is ok and it's just the page order that's the issue, then it's a lot easier to drag&drop PDF pages in Acrobat when in the Thumbnail view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Arnis.

Yes, I already did swap the pages in Acrobat (although DOH! didn't realise you could drag and drop in the thumbnail pane! I did 'Extract and Delete Page' then 'Insert Page') - even that was quick and easy, but of course needs to be redone if the doc is edited and regenerated.

I have difficulty cutting and pasting the content on the body pages in Frame - I have so many text frames and illustrations in there and I can't seem to get them all grouped/selected and cut-and-pasted at once.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this:

1. Click anywhere on a page outside of a text or graphic frame, i.e. the page background.
  2. Ctrl + a to select everything on the page.
  3. Ctrl + c to copy it all.
  4. Ctrl + v to paste them all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, obviously!    But like I say, on this document, that left stuff behind, try as I might! /shrugs/

Oh well. Next time I'll get the pages the right way round to begin with

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any stuff that is left behind is on the respective Master pages and can't be selected from a Body page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No it isn't! (honest )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, crl+a should be selecting everything on the Body page, if the page frame has been selected. Which version of FM (including point release) are you on? What are the non-selected objects?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2014 Jul 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on the latest Frame 12 patch (12.0.2.389).

The non-selected objects are some text frames, anchored frames, graphics frames and imported-by-reference graphics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you have clicked in the background page frame, what does the Edit menu say: Select all in Flow or Select All on Page for the Ctrl+A option?

Also, do you get the following warning message if you try to delete the selection?

---------------------------

FrameMaker

Deleting will leave this page empty. Since the selection contains part of an autoconnect flow, new pages may be created to hold the displaced text.

If this is not what you intend, click Cancel. Consider using the Delete Pages command instead.

OK   Cancel  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It says "Select all on Page" for CTRL+A

If I go round and manually remove everything, I don't get that error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's really weird that it doesn't select everything on the page. Try as I might, I can't duplicate the behaviour that you're seeing. Would you mind submitting this (and a sample file) as a bug report? (Bugbase or Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines