• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adding a space between items in a list

Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2014 Jul 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way in the Autonumber Format to add a return to create a blank line between items in a list? Right now, I can only do it by removing the Autonumber format for the new paragraph and then add it back in for the next line. Seems like there would be a way to add a building block for this.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Paragraph Designer for the auto-numbered format:
Basic > Space: Below Pgf: [ <set to more than the default> ]

If you put a \r in the autonumber format, it's going to add a return between the number and the paratext, unless you are using trailing autonumbers, which is rare.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Error7103. Works fine. Obviously I'm new.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Error,

Good advice about Space Below. Unfortunately, though, \r does not work in an autonumber.

--Lynne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 16, 2014 Jul 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Unfortunately, though, \r does not work in an autonumber.

Now that I've actually tried it , it doesn't just not work, it vanishes as soon as you hit [Apply], whether \r or \x09.

Unicode hacks don't work either, such as
\u000d (CR, Carriage Return : ignored)

\u0085 (NEL, Next Line : renders as "?")

\u2028 (LS, Line Separator : renders as "?")
\u2029 (PS, Paragraph Separator : renders as "?")

If you actually want a forced return between the AN and the paratext, you have to type it as part of the paratext.

And it is somewhat unfortunate, because there are cases where you might want it, such as illustration captions

Figure 123\r
Caption Text String

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Error,

Your example of a figure number and figure caption on separate lines is easily supported in structured documents. One solution would be to put the figure number in an autonumber but use a prefix consisting of a forced return (entered as \r or \n) as well. If the figure number and caption appear above the graphic, or at the start of some other element, another is to give the containing element a prefix of a space. Since the caption is a paragraph, that space and the caption would be in different paragraphs and could have different paragraph formats.

--Lynne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a requirement that there be a blank line? It would normally be

best practice to create your paragraph format to have a large Space

After specified instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By blank line, I meant space below. A building block in the autonumber format to add a return would be nice. I used the recommendation in the reply from @Error7103. It worked just fine. I now have a paragraph tag for my lists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines