• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is there no simple way to delete unused reference pages from multiple FM files?

New Here ,
Jul 15, 2014 Jul 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have hundreds of files in which some, but not all, of the reference pages are not being used. I don't want to open each file and manually click each page and then delete the pages one by one... what can I do to fix this? I think the files were all created with the same template but ironically the author imported graphics (by reference) onto the reference pages. The path to the referenced graphics (which are located on the reference pages) is invalid, and now all the FM files have errors. I am not a framemaker master, so this may be a simple fix, but I can't figure it out. I tried opening a file (file A) and deleting the unused reference pages. Then I saved it as a new file name (file B) and tried to import the reference pages of "file B" into "file A". This did not work. It just added additional reference pages to file A. I just want to be able to generate a list of reference pages for the files and then only delete the ones that I don't need. Please help. Any suggestions???

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 15, 2014 Jul 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IF the imported graphics are still being used, then when you open a file with a "missing" graphic,  FM does ask where the missing file(s) is located and will use this information when searching for other missing graphics in other files of  book. You could try creating a temporary superbook that contains many of the files and then doing an update. Otherwise, deleting "unused" Reference pages doesn't really gain you anything (and you could potentially mess up some paratags if they are using any of the reference frames on any of those pages).

When you import formats into FM files from another, FM uses and additive model, i.e. identically named objects are replaced and new ones are added. Nothing is removed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jul 16, 2014 Jul 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find the concept of an "unused" reference page to be murky at best. However, if you know the specific names of the pages that you don't want anymore, it would be a reasonably simple script to delete them as a batch.

You mention that an import doesn't delete any pages... it only adds pages. This is true, but it will also replace any pages of the same name. So, as an interim fix, consider deleting all the offending graphics off of the "unused" pages but do not delete the pages themselves. Then, an import should at least clear up the errors in the destination files. You'll still have the pages hanging around, but maybe who cares?

Russ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 16, 2014 Jul 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

One of the itl i-frame packages contains a FrameScript script to delete reference pages:

itl – FrameScript Portal: Remove Unused Formats

As far as I know single scripts can also be purchased.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines