Exit

Start at specific Content entry

Explorer ,
Jul 14, 2014 Jul 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RH 11

Question

Is there a Contents setting to associate a start page with a specific entry in Contents (not by topic name).

Problem

• The application opens to Groups View. Clicking Help opens the Groups View topic (groups.htm). So far, so good.
  • But for the start page, Contents points to a bookmark instead, because in the Contents, the bookmark precedes the main topic. (see below). The user doesn't notice because the bookmark is near the topic title. The contents navigation is off though.

Contents

1. Report Types

Dist report (groups.htm#1_win) <-------- This is what the start page points to. The user doesn't notice, because the bookmark is near the top of the page.

2. Groups View (groups.htm)  <-------- This is what the start page should point to, so navigation will match.

Report Types needs to stay where it is. Is there a Contents setting to fix this? 

Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 15, 2014 Jul 15, 2014

I assume that the contents is the way your TOC is structured. The default topic is then probably groups.htm. RH has no way of knowing which page you mean.

The easy solution may be to create two separate topics. Put the content of the current topic into a snippet and place the snippet on the two topics. Set the second topic as the default topic and all should be well.

Kind regards,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jul 15, 2014 Jul 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume that the contents is the way your TOC is structured. The default topic is then probably groups.htm. RH has no way of knowing which page you mean.

The easy solution may be to create two separate topics. Put the content of the current topic into a snippet and place the snippet on the two topics. Set the second topic as the default topic and all should be well.

Kind regards,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 16, 2014 Jul 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi William,

Thank you! I'll try snippets after this release and I see that it should work.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 15, 2014 Jul 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First let's clear up some terminology. The Start Page is the tri-pane window that opens with the Toolbar, the Navigation pane and the Topic Pane. The Topic Pane is what displays the Default topic,

Are you saying that when the help is opened, it opens with the default topic but skips down to the bookmark? I can't see any way you could have set Rh up to do that.unless you had typed the bookmark into the Default Topic field.

Or are you saying this happens when the user clicks something in the TOC?

Include a screenshot with your reply if that will help clarify the problem.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 16, 2014 Jul 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Peter. Snippets should do it, and I'll try that after this release. We're in a crunch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp