7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2014 8:02 AM by smenegassi

hide and show

smenegassi Level 1

Hello

I was trying to hide an element for the last two hours... changing computers and browsers. Easy isn't it ?

Well it didn't work till I took my command : sym.$("message").hide(); from creationComplete into compositionReady.

In compositionReady it works.

Can anyone in this word, please, tell me what is the difference in between creationComplete and compositionReady ?

thank you

s.

• 1. Re: hide and show
          resdesign Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          • 2. Re: hide and show
            smenegassi Level 1

Thank you resdesign,

but it is very confusing. You mean I have an address problem ?

My symbol is on the stage and I only want to hide it.

I don't know why it works when the command hide() is on compositionReady and it doesn't work when it  in creationComplete

I still don't see the difference in between them. I don't find anything about it on the Edge Animate javascript API

• 3. Re: hide and show
              resdesign Adobe Community Professional & MVP

To quote Elaine Finnell,

compositionReady is an event that is run once at the beginning of the composition's load phase.  creationComplete is run when a symbol has completed loading.  Since the Stage is a symbol, it has a creationComplete event as well.

or by same Elaine:

All symbols have a creationComplete event, including the Stage (which is itself just a big symbol).  documentReady only fires when the page is loaded, but the Animate events (creationComplete, compositionReady) will only fire after the Animate runtime is loaded.  If I were to hazard a semi-educated guess, I'd say that documentReady likely will fire before the Animate runtime events, though you might hit a race condition where both of them will fire at about the same time.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: hide and show
                smenegassi Level 1

Thank you.

I still don't see why I couldn't hide my symbol. but thanks for your explanation. I'll have to dig a little more on the subject.

• 6. Re: hide and show
                  jbowden Adobe Employee

Hi all,

Actually, the Animate runtime is loaded before the compositionReady event fires - that's the difference between HTML document.ready and Animate compositionReady events.

Regarding the events mentioned in this thread, here's the order in which they are loaded in the browser:

1. symbol creationComplete
                  2. Stage creationComplete (because the Stage symbol contains all child symbols)
                  3. Stage compositionReady

For tasks like styling or hide/show elements in the composition, compositionReady is the event to use as it fires after all symbols have been created.

hth,

Joe

1 person found this helpful
                  • 7. Re: hide and show
                    smenegassi Level 1

I just saw it now. Thank you all.

... I'am beginning to see the light ! :