• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After effects CC on maverick slow render because of PP CC Dynamic Link Footage

Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2013 Nov 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I put premiere pro CC edits in After Effects CC through dynamic Link every day. Since I upgraded my systems to Maverick and first installed the 12.0.1 and afterwards 12.1 the rendering of the After effects projects that have Dynamic Link Edits on the timeline slow down from 10 hours (in12.0 on Mountain Lion) to about 90 hours. When I replace the dynamic Link with a QT Movie, it renders about 10 hours again. It is normal that Dynamic link slows dow the rendering, but this is extreme and since this wasn't the case on Mountain Lion and 12.0 for the same project with the same dynamic link, not normal. I couldn't figure out what causes this. Is this Maverick on my 2008 Mac Pro ? is this a bug in 12.1 or dynamic link ? Or can I solve this with a simple setting somewhere in Maverick or AE ?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Dec 09, 2013 Dec 09, 2013

I have had some issues with render times and serveral slowdowns in premiere, after effects and encore after mavericks update, I found in other forums that the new feature called power nap was the problem, after disabling it, adobe prodcuts work like a charm. Go to your application folder, right click your app and check the option to disable power nap, tell me if it work for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2013 Nov 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no ideas ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 21, 2013 Nov 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Kea,

I was having a very similar problem. I wasn't able to solve the issue as such, but I did find that if I quit After Effects before attempting to render my PP timeline with the linked comps in it it worked just fine. The speediness we had pre-Mavericks returned.

Now, admittedly, this isn't a perfect solution. I mean, every time I want to make a change to one of the linked comps I need to re-open AE, make the change, then close it again, but it does let me finish rendering the project before I grow a long gray beard.

Definitely something to put forward to the powers that be.

Good luck and hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2013 Nov 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to try it, I noticed that it isn't happening all the time. I think you shouldn't touch premiere at all when rendering. Yesterday I rendered two 15s ads with only one text layer that had different information. They both had the same dynamic link sequence and all the graphics and effects were the same. The first one rendered in 7 minutes, the second in 16 minutes ...  I once thought it had to do with the cache folder that was growing to his limits but when I purged the cache it wasn't solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2013 Dec 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had some issues with render times and serveral slowdowns in premiere, after effects and encore after mavericks update, I found in other forums that the new feature called power nap was the problem, after disabling it, adobe prodcuts work like a charm. Go to your application folder, right click your app and check the option to disable power nap, tell me if it work for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 18, 2013 Dec 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are the man! It made ma crazy, 3 minutes video were rendering for 3 hours. With one simple Dynamic link. Now it is way faster! Thanks a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jul 18, 2014 Jul 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AEZ125 wrote:

Go to your application folder, right click your app and check the option to disable power nap, tell me if it work for you.

A slightly better (IMHO) way to do it is to disable that crappy "feature" globally.  Not just per application.  Pop open a Terminal window, and

sudo defaults write -g NSAppSleepDisabled -bool true

It'll ask for your password and it's safe to enter it.  Once you do that, it should be disabled globally.  You may need to re-run that when you patch the OS, such as jumping from 10.9.4 to 10.9.5 when it comes out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good idea. I just also did a small software update. (from Mavericks to Mavericks) and even this features was disabled for Premiere and all Adobe softwares, it came back enabled. Strange, so I will use the global trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2014 Jul 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

App nap does not fix the issue I mentioned above, I've tried preventing App Nap manually per app and disabling globally using the terminal command, the issue above still stands.

I have two workstations here both having the same issues and both can play PP sequences with dynamically linked AE comps in full res with 0 dropped frames.

If I open the After Effects project where that AE comp came from, I get about 400 dropped frames playing around 20 seconds in PP and extremely slow responsiveness & render times.

Can you guys test this scenario to see if you're having the same issues?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2014 Aug 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys, I have been having the same issue and this is how i fixed mine. I went to sequence settings and switched on Maximum render quality, then I went to preferences, Memory and changed optimise rendering for: Memory instead of the default (performance).

Restarted premiere cc and now i can play back and quickly render after effects files smoothly on the timeline.

Im using Mercury playback engine on my macbook pro.

I hope this helps you my friend.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2014 Aug 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately this does not fix the problem I've mentioned above.

I changed the settings you mentioned - switched on Maximum render quality under sequence settings and Changed optimise rendering for: Memory under the memory preferences.

Then I did a very simple test, maybe you could do the same and let me know if you have issues.

1. With After Effects closed, import a 15 second AE comp into premiere through Dynamic Link and put into the timeline.
  2. Play the timeline for the full 15 seconds - result: 0 dropped frames
  3. Open After Effects and load the project that the AE comp comes from
  4. Go back to Premiere and play the same timeline for the full 15 seconds - result: 275 dropped frames

I'm using a 12 core custom built computer with 32gb ram 4.6ghz overclocked and have also tried on the new 6 core mac pro - same result.

Still not resolved, anyone else with the same issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 22, 2014 Aug 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How would anyone get a Power Nap option when right clicking an application in the finder?? This answer does not seem correct to me or am I missing something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 22, 2014 Aug 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see, right click and "Get Info" then select "Prevent App Nap"

Screen Shot 2014-08-22 at 10.21.10 PM.png.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 27, 2014 Aug 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you for spelling that out...i couldn't find it either. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm was having the same issues, turned off "app nap" for premiere and after effects which has mostly fixed things.

The only thing now though is if I have a dynamic linked after effects composition within premiere and I have the after effects project open (that the composition came from) the dynamic linked comp within premiere won't play properly no matter what.

Tried everything I can find on the net - app nap, full screen full res rendering within after effects - that composition just won't play and take ages to render if the after effects project that it came from is open.

If I close the after effects project, the dynamically linked composition in premiere starts playing perfectly. Open the project in after effects and that dynamically linked comps stop playing. Any other dynamically linked comps from other AE sessions play fine within premiere (unless I open their original AE project!)

This used to work fine before - it was great to be able to have AE and premiere open together and make changes in AE then switch to premiere to see the changes update, watch the sequence to get context, then flick back to AE, make more changes etc.

Now I have to close the AE project, go to premiere, watch the sequence, open the AE project, make changes. When doing a few hundred adjustments over a week this can add considerable time to workflow!

Any ideas? Is this happening for you guys?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 29, 2014 Sep 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After Effects CC 2014 doesn't have the "Prevent App Nap" switch and the Terminal command seems to have no effect. This is really holding up my projects that worked fine in CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2014 Oct 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem has got worse with the 2014.1 update. I now get more dropped frames, the playhead is sometimes unresponsive for a few seconds when working on sequences with dynamic link comps and comps also go offline when I close my AE project in order to be able to play back sequences in Premiere.

I was hoping the update would bring bug fixes and improvements to workflows, so far it seems to be a different colour scheme and fancy markers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2014 Nov 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completely agree. The update is horrible. I've wasted a complete week trying to cope, but I can't. So unsatisfying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 05, 2014 Nov 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the go with this? The new update is still more unstable than the previous version when using dynamic link. I have to deal with this every day and I would love an update on when this will be addressed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 05, 2014 Nov 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is y I did not upgrade pp or Ae after upgrading to Yosemite.  It seems stable to me with pp 2014.0.1.  It ain't broke now so I ain't fixing it.

Sincerely,

Digital Production Group, LLC

Http://www.dpgnc.com

Edit: personal info removed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2014 Nov 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, the dynamic link is worse and worse each release. If my AE is open, I can't render or play Premiere seq with linked AE seqs more for a year now. What Adobe beta testers do?

Do you release these versions for the shareholders or for the artists?

I lost my hope for the future of Adobe workflow. The fixes take ages and every new fix brings more bugs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 08, 2014 Nov 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Milan,

It's supposed to be fixed with After Effects CC 2014.1 (13.1). If it is not working for you, please file a bug here: http://adobe.ly/ReportBug
More info on the topic: Slow rendering of After Effects compositions in Premiere Pro sequences

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2014 Nov 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, seems to work much better after disabling app nap in Mavericks with:

sudo defaults write -g NSAppSleepDisabled -bool true

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 12, 2014 Nov 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin:

App nap does not fix the problem for me and many people I know, the 13.1 update did not fix the problem, I cannot play back sequences in Premiere with dynamic link comps at a reasonable frame rate. The update actually introduced another problem that when you close AE after working with a dynamic link composition the composition will go offline, are you aware of this?

Moja.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 13, 2014 Nov 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed - I've disabled App nap and it does nothing fix this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines