• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

User variable can not be edited from variable window

Explorer ,
Jul 17, 2014 Jul 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I highlight a user variable (accessed from the Special > Variable menu) in the variable window in Frame 11 and select edit I get a blank variable and can not edit my user variable. I have to open a master page and double-click the variable in the header to open the variable window, selecting the user variable there opens the defined variable that I can edit.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you fully patched to FM11.0.2?

What is the definition of the user variable? If it contains system-level building blocks, then most of these are only available from the Master Page in the first place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what is your "user" variable definition?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 18, 2014 Jul 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a variable called Manual Name and use it in my headers. I've used this variable for years, it is part of my manual template. I upgraded to Frame 11 in the last six months and found the variable interface to be be awkward but I've been editing the variable for my manuals during that time. When I tried to edit the variable this week for a manual I noticed I couldn't edit the variable from the menu access but I could edit it by double clicking the variable in the header; I also noticed the size and shape of the variable edit window are different with accessing it from the two methods.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try the Edit button in the Variables pod after selectig the variable there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that is the only way to edit the variable from the menu access. Accessing the variable pod from the menu, when I select my Manual Name variable and click the Edit button the Add/Edit Variable opens with the name and definition fields blank (like when I create a new variable). When I double click the variable in the header the Add/Edit Variable opens with the name and definition fields filled in and I can edit the definition.

I did an experiment. I opened the variable pod from the menu, I selected the Page Count predefined variable and clicked the Edit button, the Add/Edit Variable window opened with the fields filled in and I can edit the definition. From the same window when I select my Manual Name variable and it behaves as I described. I have a second user defined variable called Product Name and that variable behaves the same as my Manual Name variable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the way it's been designed to work in FM11 (for better or - as most users say - worse).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK

I would suggest they enhance it so I can double click any variable to edit it. I don't always remember which button is the edit button is so I have to hover the mouse on the buttons to determine which one is Edit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines