• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Difference between the RoboHelp v6 & RoboHelp server 6

New Here ,
May 30, 2007 May 30, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the difference between the RoboHelp v6 & RoboHelp Server 6? We are going to upgrade from RoboHelp x3 to V6.
If we buy RoboHelp V6, do we need to buy RoboHelp Server 6 as well?

Thanks for sharing the input with me on this topic !

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Server 6 is the replacement for RoboEngine and you only need it if your output is WebHelp Pro. Otherwise just upgrade to RH6.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Expanding a bit on Peter's comment. There is often confusion about the two products.

Adobe RoboHelp 6 is the only desktop application an author needs, whether the organization decides to use the RH Server 6 or not. The server application is optional for those who want to benefit from its features.

So in a scenario where you have 5 authors that are publishing to a RoboHelp Server 6-equipped web server, you would have five RoboHelp 6 licenses, but only one RoboHelp Server 6 license. That's because the server application resides on the web server and not on the author's desktop.

There are two main features that make RoboHelp Server 6 worth considering.

1. The ability to search the text of PDF, Word, Excel and Powerpoint files without having to convert them to HTML. This is particularly helpful in an *intra*net situation where there are often hundreds of forms that employees need to access but must remain in their native format (PDF, DOC, etc.)

2. The author can create user feedback reports to determine which topics are being accessed and how often as well as finding out which search terms are being asked for but not answered. This can guide the author in making future changes to the content to match what the users are looking for.

If you want to learn more, I've written an article in the Adobe Developer Network that goes into greater detail.
Adobe RoboHelp Server 6 improves the feedback loop

Thanx,
John
John Daigle
Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
May 31, 2007 May 31, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The other thing left unsaid by John: those main features provided by Server 6 (the old RoboEngine) are fine for an in-house intranet environment, or for companies that are hosting web-based online help from their own servers.

Many of us, however, are providing online help that will usually be shipped on the same CD (or maybe an extra CD) with the software product itself. For these applications, there is absolutely no need for Server 6.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2007 May 31, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thank you all for your great responses. You all have been lot of help, I truly appreciate it.

Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2007 Jul 02, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I ask you to elaborate a bit further on RoboHelp 6 vs RoboHelp 6 Server? I am working in a .NET environment, and it wasn't clear to me if I need RoboHelp 6 Server to get the API's for creating WebHelp.

The project involves an external-facing website for specific business partners for the company, in a distributed environment.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 03, 2007 Jul 03, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi IberianSpyGirl. If you are just producing webhelp output for your .NET environment you do not need a RoboHelp 6 Server licence. This is only required if you are outputing Webhelp Pro output. Webhelp Pro output allows you to publish what is in effect just webhelp output to a server to get various advantages in the areas of content searching, usage reports, etc. Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much!

ISG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

I know it seems this post has already been dealt with, but I have more food for thought to toss in.

Unfortunately it won't be much, as my understanding here is miniscule, but I do understand that in some cases, in a "Dot Net" environment, the developers desire to run help as a "Dot Net Service". Again, I need to state that I don't fully understand the implications with all the "Dot Net" hubub. But I have heard that if this is the case, where your developers desire the help delivered in this fashion, it's another reason that RoboHelp Server may be needed. I believe there used to be a "RoboHelp for DotNet" used for this purpose. Not sure if that was rolled into the existing offering or what happened with it. Perhaps fellow Adobe Community Expert and Certified Adobe Instructor John Daigle will see this and offer more.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, folks. Following up on Rick and Colum, let's see if I can break this down a bit.
This thread is one good reason that Adobe decided to end the multiple product madness of the old eHelp/Macromedia days.
We had umpteen different products and no one knew exactly what did what.

Now, there are only two products.
One - Adobe RoboHelp 6 - is what the author uses to create and publish the various layout outputs. The typical output is WebHelp or FlashHelp and can reside on just about any web server out there (Windows IIS, UNIX, Linux, Apache, etc.) For many, that's all you need. Case closed.

Two - Adobe RoboHelp Server 6 (and the old RoboEngine) is an *option* for those who would like the extra features described in my post above. It's great for Intranets where you have a lot of forms,etc. Here, the typical output is WebHelp Pro or FlashHelp Pro. These "Pro" outputs are only appropriate for publishing to an Adobe RoboHelp Server.

As for the artist formerly known as RoboHelp for .NET, eHelp created this as a set of APIs created for .NET developers who wanted to use C# (C-sharp) language in coding their apps. The API is a set of ready-made functions that developers can use to create context-sensitive help calls or something called "web services" to better integrate the help with the app. That said, these APIs are not required by .NET. They are simply convenient code snippets the developer can use if they find them helpful. Some developers use them and some developers choose to "roll their own".

The good news is that RoboHelp for .NET (the APIs which used to cost nearly a thousand bucks) is now free and included with Adobe RoboHelp 6 (even if you don't buy the RoboHelp Server). In fact you can see them with example code here where they are installed in this path:
C:\Program Files\Adobe\RoboHelp 6.0\CSH API\RoboHelp.NET

Anyone who works with developers in a .NET environment will want to share this folder of APIs (and examples) to let them know what is available. Again, they may say "thanks but we'll make our own" or they may say, "Wow, we didn't know this was available, thanks!"
john
John Daigle
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2007 Jul 18, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: johndaigle
The good news is that RoboHelp for .NET (the APIs which used to cost nearly a thousand bucks) is now free and included with Adobe RoboHelp 6 (even if you don't buy the RoboHelp Server). In fact you can see them with example code here where they are installed in this path:
C:\Program Files\Adobe\RoboHelp 6.0\CSH API\RoboHelp.NET...

john

Hi,

Our software is written in .Net and we're having a few problems calling up the right window for the help. Do these APIs work with RoboHelp X5? If so, does anyone know where I can download them as I can't find them on the Adobe website.

Thanks for your help peeps.

Liz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jul 18, 2007 Jul 18, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi, Liz.
If you will contact me offline at the email shown on my "View Profile", I'll see if I can assist. I have a few additional items to clarify.
john
John Daigle
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp