• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

From Robo5 to Robo6

New Here ,
Jul 12, 2007 Jul 12, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. My boss has asked me if I think we should upgrade to Robo6, and I am not really sure. Looking at the top reasons to upgrade list, it seems Screen Captures ( I currently use SnagIT and they can be blurry after inserted into Robo), and user-defined variables might be helpful. A few questions:

Do user-defined variables mean that if developers change the name of a product or field that you can search and replace all instances of the old name?

Also, we are hiring another writer (both of us remote) and want to look into RoboSource Control. Do you suggest upgrading to Robo6 for this reason only?

Are people running into a lot of problems when upgrading? I'm petrified of problems with our skin, template, links, etc. I went through a Robo conversion many years ago at a big company who had a technical person just for the TW group to fix those problems - but I am on my own here.

Lastly, what was the release date of Robo6?

Thanks very much for any help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jul 13, 2007 Jul 13, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello KayNay,

Welcome to the Forums.

Follow this link to a previous thread which may provide the answers to your questions.

Hope this helps,

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi KayNay and welcome to the RH community. What I offer here are my own personal experiences of RH and may well differ from others. You can gain a lot of info that will help answer some of your questions by searching back through these forums.

The user variables feature allow you to create a variable (e.g. Version) and add a value to it (e.g. 1.0). You add the variable to the text and when you compile RH substitutes the veriable for the value. If you change the variable value (e.g. ti 1.1) it will be used when you compile. In short the feature allows you to change values that appear multiple times in the help only once.

As far as RoboSource Control is concerned, I'd look at other source control packages (e.g. SourceSafe) and would not upgrade purely for this feature. There are users of RH who use RoboSource Control. Whatever you use, it is wise to think about how you will use it.

Skins, templates, etc have been around in RH terms for awhile and work fine. That is not to say you won't hit problems. Maybe you will but you'll find these forums an excellent resource to solve the. It is rare for someone here not to have seen your problem before and they are very willing and able to help.

If my memory serves me correctly, the current version of RH came out in January 2007. Adobe are actively developing the product after a period of transition since they bought Macromedia and things are looking up. I'm really looking forward to seeing what Adobe turns up in future releases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Brian. Didn't see you there!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No probs Colum,

I don't use Source Control, and apart from the pre-release, RH6. I just searched for advice. Personal observations are much better advice.

Cheers

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kay,

Robohelp 6 was released on January 15th 2007. Check out this thread for reasons to upgraded and information on new features:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?forumid=65&catid=447&threadid=1233179&h...

If you are looking for an introduction to user defined variables, check out this article:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/robohelp/articles/userdefinedvars.html

If you would like some information on the new improved Robohelp Source Control features of Robohelp 6 check out this link:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/robohelp/articles/robosource.html

Hope that helps
Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi KayNay and welcome to our community

I see others have already responded to your post. My reason for adding to the thread is because I'm not seeing something you mentioned specifically addressed.

You said:
...it seems Screen Captures ( I currently use SnagIT and they can be blurry after inserted into Robo)...

I also currently use SnagIt. But I have to say that I don't believe RoboHelp 6 (or any version of RoboHelp or any other HAT) will assist in making your screen captures not "blurry". From what you have posted, I'm wondering if you are resizing the screen captures after you are inserting them into your help system. If so, this is not best practice. You should be resizing them before you insert them into help. If you do this, the clarity is much improved.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 18, 2007 Jul 18, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
There might be advantages in waiting for the next release of RoboHelp ( read more).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp