• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Observations and questions regarding merged help.

Participant ,
Jul 26, 2014 Jul 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I've just been reading Mr Grainge's fine directions on how to generate merged help, using his sample files in the process. I'd appreciate some comments on the following observations and questions.

1. It appears that before one generates merged help, the user should ensure that all child projects have been individually generated first so that all recent changes to those projects' content are present in the generated merged help. In short, it appears that generating the parent project doesn't automatically pre-generate the child projects,  Is this correct?
  2. I also experimented with putting text in one of the child topics, and applying conditional build tags to them. I found that the conditional text that appears in the merged, in the text from a particular child project, is whatever conditional text was exposed when the child project was last run. It also seems that the conditional build tags specified in the parent project (via the single source config) has no affect on the text exposed/hidden for the child projects. Is this to be expected? If so, can I expect the same behavior regarding user defined variables?
  3. If my observations above are correct, is there any technique or script one can use to cause all child HTML text to be generated (per a specified single source config for each child) first, and THEN generate the merge via generating the parent help?
  4. Regardless of the conclusions to the above three items, are there merged project features that you'd like to see added to RH 12?

Thanks in advance!

Kurt (a relative RH nooby, and absolute merged help nooby.)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 26, 2014 Jul 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kurt

It appears that before one generates merged help, the user should ensure that all child projects have been individually generated first so that all recent changes to those projects' content are present in the generated merged help. In short, it appears that generating the parent project doesn't automatically pre-generate the child projects,  Is this correct?

Spot on. Generating the parent only ensures the resulting help is aware of and knows to look for the child projects.

I also experimented with putting text in one of the child topics, and applying conditional build tags to them. I found that the conditional text that appears in the merged, in the text from a particular child project, is whatever conditional text was exposed when the child project was last run. It also seems that the conditional build tags specified in the parent project (via the single source config) has no affect on the text exposed/hidden for the child projects. Is this to be expected? If so, can I expect the same behavior regarding user defined variables?

Indeed, that is normal behavior and yes, the same would apply to user defined variables.

Perhaps it will help to explain conditionals and variables using a different analogy. My favorite analogy is food, as we all have that in common so we all likely understand it. So consider that a parent project is like a layer cake. As there are several layers in a layer cake, it's feasible that each layer may be baked differently. Perhaps one layer is chocolate, another coconut and so on. Using build tags and variables is similar to baking something in that the condition may state Sugar be excluded from the recipe, Just because you excluded sugar from that top layer (or any of the other layers) does not automatically ensure it has been removed from all of them. Perhaps each of them have a variable additive, such as nuts. Like the layer cake, each of the help outputs that are part of the merge will only contain what you told them to contain at the time they were created.

If my observations above are correct, is there any technique or script one can use to cause all child HTML text to be generated (per a specified single source config for each child) first, and THEN generate the merge via generating the parent help?

RoboHelp does offer a "command line generation" option. But I've never used it. Maybe it would be useful here. I'll defer to others on that aspect.

Regardless of the conclusions to the above three items, are there merged project features that you'd like to see added to RH 12?

Hopefully this helps a bit... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 28, 2014 Jul 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can automate this project using scripts, but it will require you to configure the script for your situation. I have a script that automatically generates the master project and all mergedProjects to a specified location. This may save you a lot of time. Send me an email if you're interested at contact [at] wvanweelden [dot] eu.

Kind regards,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Willam- Thanks so much. Yes, I'd be interested to look at your scripts. I just sent you a request via email. Thanks!

-Kurt Euler

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick. This clarifies things alot.

-Kurt Euler

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 30, 2014 Jul 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or use Batch Generation?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter.  Would batch generation result in a search domain that covers all generated projects? (This is actually my goal, which I understand "merging" will produce.)

Thx.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please expand on what you mean by that. Sorry but I will not be able to

respond to your answer for a few days.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 03, 2014 Aug 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Realised what you mean. It doesn't matter whether you generate the parent and children manually or via batch generation, the result will be the same.

To get different setups, I would create different layouts in each project, each having the configuration you want. Apply good naming to make it clear which layout is part of which set up. WebHelp Pepsi Cola and WebHelp Coca Cola for example. Have one target folder with its children for Pepsi Cola and one for Coca Cola, Then set off Batch Generation. Each layout will generate to its designated folder giving you the merges you need.

Hope that's clear.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp