• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Possible recording bug in Captivate 3?

New Here ,
Aug 14, 2007 Aug 14, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone noticed that in any recording mode, if "Automatically add text captions" is not selected, mouse movement & location will not display even if the option is selected in the settings. I found after the recording is finished if you right click the slide and select "Show Mouse" from the context menu, the mouse movement will display as expected. Although I find this a bit annoying.

Is this by design, or a possible bug?

Also, does anyone know of anyway to remove the audio from keystroke recording? I was sure in Captivate 2 there was an option for this, but in 3 I have not found a way to do so.
TOPICS
Recording

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry ap83 but I can't duplicate your problem. "Edit > Preferences > Modes > (uncheck) Automatically Add Text Cations" results in a demonstration movie with no text-captions but full mouse visibility and movement. You may have some other setting selected that affected your results, but as you described it, I can find nothing wrong.

To remove audio from "key-tapping" go to "Recording > Settings > (de-select) Hear Keyboard Tap Sounds".

One of the difficult things to get used to in Captivate 3 is that all preferences - global and otherwise - are now located on the "Edit" menu, so perhaps this is confusing you?? Just trying to find the problem ...

Have a nice day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response CatBandit. This issue is happening for me if "Automatically add text captions" is unchecked in the global settings or in the settings from the record window, no matter whether the mode is custom or demonstration. This is really frustrating. Even if I restore the default settings for demonstration mode, and only uncheck the "Automatically add text captions" option, the issue still persists.

As for the audio, I do have the "Hear Keyboard Tap Sounds" option unchecked, no matter what captivate 3 always includes the keytap audio.

It maybe of note, I am running the trial version, I do not know if this would make a difference or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 15, 2007 Aug 15, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ap83,

This may not help you in the least, but I wanted to post that, like Larry, I was unable to reproduce either of the things you mentioned. Even with the "Automatically add text captions" option unchecked, I too am seeing the mouse path when I stop the recording. I also get the no keyboard sounds if I uncheck that option.

I don't know if it would help any, but have you tried recording in manual mode and then going back and setting it to auto with your desired settings? I only ask because I was able to clear an issue with some erroneous settings by doing this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running the trial version shouldn't be the problem. Features and functions are the same in the trial as in the licensed version. I really can't explain the missing mouse and mouse movement because I can't duplicate it.

But the keystroke sounds - when de-selected - shouldn't be heard. Have you tired renaming the MP3 for "keystrokes" in the \\Gallery\ folder? I'm going out the door now, but if I get to it before you, I'll try that and see what effect it has on that problem.

For now ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Catbandit, renaming the keystroke mp3 worked. Although, it is kind of annoying to have to do that.

SShip, I tried your suggestion of switching to manual recording, and then back, to no avail. What was interesting though is in manual mode, with Automatically add text captions" unchecked, displayed the mouse as expected.

So at this point, I'm not sure if there is anything I can do, especially if nobody can reproduce this. It maybe something I will have to live with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2007 Sep 13, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: ap83
So at this point, I'm not sure if there is anything I can do, especially if nobody can reproduce this. It maybe something I will have to live with.

FWIW, I am having the same problem - I'm using the trial version and can't get the mouse movements to appear when recording. I have to select all slides, right-click, and select show mouse.

Have you also noticed a problem when capturing keystrokes that it only captures a couple of keystrokes and then just sort of jumps to the end of what you were typing, while the keystroke sounds keep going (slowly)?

jhighland

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought maybe I had a corrupt install, so I tried uninstalling and reinstalling. That didn't make a difference either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ap83 you are right - renaming program files and having to remember to rename them again when they are wanted is at best, a super awkward way to do anything. Sorry I don't have a better solution for that particular problem.

The only other suggestion I have right now is to contact "Support" (links at bottom of page) and open a ticket. That is, if you have a licensed copy of CP3.

Be aware that if your version is a trial version, I don't think they will offer support (I've always found that odd, just as an aside, but I guess I can see the reason ...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've solved one issue. To turn off the keyboard typing sound I went to:

"Preferences > Project > Settings > (de-select) Play tap audio for recorded typing when project is generated"

Kind of hidden, but that did the trick. Now if only I could figure out the mouse issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On capturing keystrokes, I've noticed that when recording, keystrokes are often missed unless you type quite slowly . So now I type very slowly. Then later, I speed up the replay by shortening the "Typing" event in the timeline (though I am hit-and-miss at grabbing the edge of the bar in a way that changes the duration rather than moving the bar, and often have to make several "grabs" to get it right. What am I missing?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi SylviaAhern

To be totally honest, if I were recording a demonstration, I would never record typing. For one thing, the recording is very literal. If you are typing and make a typo, then backspace and type correctly, the typo and backspace are recorded and played back to your user that way.

Captivate 3 includes a wonderful new Text Animation called "Typing Text". I would opt for this hands down any day of the week. Actually, I believe Captivate 3 allows you to convert recorded keystrokes to this new animation type. This is the approach I would take. Use the Typing Text animation and forego recorded keystrokes.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2007 Oct 10, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An another Recording issue....Try inserting silence, either record a new audio file in Captivate 3 or edit an existing file. Either way, Captivate 3 won't save your inserted silence. I've had another user test this and he got the same results. Seems like the Insert Silence button is a waste of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Oct 10, 2007 Oct 10, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Jeannine8 ~

Please see my response to the "Insert Silence" issue by clicking the link here .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources