• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RobHelp v11: can I add a table into an expanding hotspot?

Participant ,
Jul 28, 2014 Jul 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RobHelp v11: it appears that I can add only text and images, but it is important that I also add tables. Do you know if there is anyway of doing this please?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 30, 2014 Jul 30, 2014

If this is the case why are using expanding text? Would a drop down be more effective? Expanding text are designed for short sharp text strings not a list of images, tables and other content. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,
Jul 28, 2014 Jul 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this in the RoboHelp 11 help:

Adobe RoboHelp 11 * Tables

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 29, 2014 Jul 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much for the reply, but unfortunately there is no reference in the link to inserting tables into expanding hotspots. When I paste a table into an expanding hotspot, the table is stripped out, leaving only the text and images. It does appear, therefore, that RoboHelp does not allow tables to be added in this way.

We need to collapse tables in many of our topics, allowing the user to expand the hotspot, and access the tables when required. This seems a helpful way to present content, and I am surprised that it does not seem to be possible. I wondered if anyone has found a way around this limitation, and has been able to hide tables using some other method. Any advice would be appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Try creating the table in the topic and configuring it as you want, then select it and CUT to the Clipboard. Then open the DHTML Drop-Down (so you get the little window) and PASTE into the drop-down.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but no luck. You cannot add the table in this way. If it contains values, then these are added, but not the table.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 30, 2014 Jul 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps someone from Adobe could correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that there is no way to natively hide all types of content in a topic. Does anyone know if this is possible in Madcap Flare please?

Thanks for any responses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can apply a Conditional Build Tag to hide content. This can be done either at the content level (i.e. to hide specific topic elements) or to an entire topic. Your single source layout can then be used to build an expression that excludes content with that tag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but this does not solve this issue. In a particular topic for a software command, there may be text, images, and tables for each feature being described. We need to collapse this content into a short list of features. The user could then click on a particular feature to expand it, and display the contents, as required. This would be a simple and effective way of displaying this content. Can it be done natively in RoboHelp? We have a script that will do this, but it is not practical to use it for thousands of topics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this is the case why are using expanding text? Would a drop down be more effective? Expanding text are designed for short sharp text strings not a list of images, tables and other content. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or perhaps a popup or link to a popup topic?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much. This seems to do what we need. Much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I've been on the road. Looks like you already decided to change course. Hey ho

Anyhoo, if you REALLY want a table in a drop down, it's easy. Take a look at the video I created showing what I described earlier.

TableInDropDown - Magus75's library

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your input.

Cheers,

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp