• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does Adobe think we want addons Chrome and McAfee added to a simple FLASH update???????????

Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2014 Jul 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Presenting an update with addons like Chrome and McAfee to be installed nefariously directly run from the site is not good.  Downloading the file after unchecking the box that I don't want  mcafee messing up my computer one can install the update without that garbage.  I don't want Chrome either..  Sure I have used it in the past but I don't want it now.  It is just about impossible to use the web these days without flash activated unless you are an people and don't get it anyway.   Trying to piggyback that unwanted software on top of a Flash update is not cool!  Its bad enough 3rd party downloads come with  things like that but whats next some adware?    Please rethink your update policies as getting that stuff installed is doing no one that doesn't want it any favors at all.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jul 30, 2014 Jul 30, 2014

That is nice Pat that you create installers without it.  The point is what the common unknowing user can be facing when notified of needing an update for flash that can create problems for them while unaware of the addons of McAfee and Chrome and are unaware of your clean installers.

This is not a complaint is is a justified grievance.  Updates for most software do not come with the need to search around for a clean installation.

If you like McAfee keep using it.  Perhaps you have never had the ex

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jul 07, 2014 Jul 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) Why does Adobe think we want addons...

Adobe does not think that anyone wants these 3rd-party add-ons.  However, they have to fund a development team for the free software they provide; that's why/how they try to recover some of that funding.

2) Please rethink your update policies...

This is a user forum; it is not "our" policy!

3) Trying to piggyback that unwanted software...

At least a dozen times every day someone posts the links to the offline installers, which are not bundled with any 3rd-party software.  Why not use these instead of complaining...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2014 Jul 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe does not think that anyone wants these 3rd-party add-ons.  However, they have to fund a development team for the free software they provide; that's why/how they try to recover some of that funding. 

I can understand they need money for their product yet they are the ones that bought macromedia and supported it on the web for years.  I can remember when pdf files were new so new it stopped BART from allowing it through the network I was on.  Do they not make enough money off of Photoshop?  I realize if a network wants to support flash on macs they need to buy a another server option to make it work.  I just find it deplorable the way it is done.  In fact the check box is somewhat skillfully camouflaged on the update page.

Updates should not come with trickery in the update choice to tick the correct switch off (check box) to not have 3rd party unwanted choices.   The difference between the save vs run update from their site makes a difference in which way it comes to you as the default run from the adobe site is it comes with mcafee and chrome browser not the OS.  This is not useful for the average jo computer user that has no clue. 

What is next Babylon toolbar?    Have you ever seen the video of John McAfee explaining how to uninstall mcafee av? Perhaps you would understand the frustration of the users that encounter this.

How To Uninstall McAfee Antivirus - YouTube

This is a user forum; it is not "our" policy!

It may be your forum but its at adobe.com and supposedly the place found to ask questions.  Its the only place I could find without writing a letter to adobe. 

At least a dozen times every day someone posts the links to the offline installers, which are not bundled with any 3rd-party software.  Why not use these instead of complaining...?

You might put up some links too the offline installers,  however why should I trust some offline installer that may have adware, malware, or some other chumpware silkroped to it?  

On top of that its adobe's updater that is notifying the user of update needed.      It appears the updates can come two different ways from adobe and may depend on if it is updating for ie or mozilla too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 23, 2014 Jul 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Packet wrote:

You might put up some links too the offline installers,  however why should I trust some offline installer that may have adware, malware, or some other chumpware silkroped to it?

The reason why I publish the offline installers (on the Macromedia.com download server) is exactly because they are not bundled with any crapware.  It's your choice to use them, but if not, then stop complaining about it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2014 Jul 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That is nice Pat that you create installers without it.  The point is what the common unknowing user can be facing when notified of needing an update for flash that can create problems for them while unaware of the addons of McAfee and Chrome and are unaware of your clean installers.

This is not a complaint is is a justified grievance.  Updates for most software do not come with the need to search around for a clean installation.

If you like McAfee keep using it.  Perhaps you have never had the experience of using a Acer One netbook that came with preinstalled McAfee on it and the "fun" it creates. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines