18 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2015 5:36 PM by 00rhodiad

1:1 View

rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Prior to CS6 the InDesign 100% view was a 1:1 image pixel to monitor pixel ratio—the same as all versions of Photoshop.

With CS6 and later 100% represents the actual print output size calculated by getting the actual monitor resolution from the system. InDesign 8.01 to 9.2.1 lets me double click the Zoom tool and get the 1:1 view, which is necessary for accurate screen design. With InDesignCC 2014, double-clicking the Zoom tool no longer sets the 1:1 view and apparently there's no way outside of scripting to get a 1:1 view

It would be useful to either include the custom monitor resolution that is available via scripting (set use custom monitor resolution of general preferences to true) in the Preferences GUI, or add a 1:1 or Actual Pixels view under the View menu.

• 1. Re: 1:1 View
          theotherethanbee

I second this request.

This is essential for interactive designers. Regardless of target screen density (iphone, hi-res displays, etc), we need need to be able to target the desktop's actual 1:1 pixel size as a baseline in order to match Photoshop, iOS simulator, the desktop browser, etc.

A global preference somewhere would be fine. Per document would be even better! But right now everyone is using an applescript.

• 2. Re: 1:1 View
            sirob sulem Level 1

Second the request. Or better would be to say "third"?

I used a script before (CC), now the same one is not working anymore and can't find a new one but still since I am using InDesing both for print and web design so I need to switch between them quite often - which isn't very convenient to do by script...

I thought the document intent (print, web, digital) might have an influence but it doesn't seems to...

B

• 3. Re: 1:1 View
              sirob sulem Level 1

Ok so the script (applescript) seems to work after all (after some persuading - not sure what helped

But still. It will be nice to be able to switch between print/web zoom in regular preferences...

• 4. Re: 1:1 View
                taco d o

Yep, would be great to finally see actual pixels in InDesign.

• 5. Re: 1:1 View

The javascripts and Applescripts in this thread set the new functionality back to the pre CS6 where 100% = 1:1.

InDesign CS6 resolution for pixel documents not the same

But if you want to keep the new 100% equals actual print size in CC2014 and get actual pixels, scripting now allows you to get the main monitors display resolution. In Applescript this displays 1:1 —it's the same as double-clicking the Zoom tool in CC, so you could save it to the scripts folder and add a key command

tell application "Adobe InDesign CC 2014"

set x to main monitor ppi of general preferences

set zoom percentage of active window to (72 / x) * 100

end tell

• 6. Re: 1:1 View
                    Wognum Level 1

I agree 100%.

As a multi-disciplinary designer I really like using InDesign as one of many design tools when creating for the web.

The simple solution:

It would be great if the 100% view in InDesign could be actual pixels on the screen when you chose Intent: Web and actual (real world) size when the intent is Print. Tah-dah!

• 7. Re: 1:1 View

It would be great if the 100% view in InDesign could be actual pixels on the screen when you chose Intent: Web and actual (real world) size when the intent is Print. Tah-dah!

I'm not sure about that think it could get confusing to allow different view scalings. The AppleScript I posted in the linked thread in #5 above lets me toggle between 1:1 and print 100% views, which I thought would be the best solution. When I started using it I was always forgetting what the scale was—got really confusing and I stopped using it. In the end I don't really care if the window head says 100% or 66% as long as I know I'm at 1:1. I'd like to see a View>Actual Screen View menu item.

What 100% means gets tricky. Does it mean actual print size or a 1:1 pixel ratio? Or should it represent an actual iPad or iPhone size etc.?

• 8. Re: 1:1 View
                        Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi, Rob. I filed a bug report.

Or in case the behavior is deliberate and by design a feature request. Let's wait and see…

What is really getting tricky in regards with iPads are the "old" presets for page sizes InDesign has built in like: 1024 x 768 px.

iPads come in three different resolutions with two pixel sizes and two different physical sizes: 163 ppi, 264 ppi and 326 ppi, in 7.9 in and 9.7 in (diagonal), 1024 x 768 px and 2048 x 1536 px wide.

And there is the workflow where you build a page in 1024 x 768 px, multipurpose, for all iPads (but iPad 1; this is obsolete now)…

What should InDesign showing now as 1:1 ?? For that purpose we need something like different device profiles. And a high-density screen, that is able to show 326 ppi in 1:1 (highest pixel density for an iPad).

Uwe

• 9. Re: 1:1 View

What is really getting tricky in regards with iPads are the "old" presets for page sizes InDesign has built in like: 1024 x 768 px.

iPads come in three different resolutions with two pixel sizes and two different physical sizes: 163 ppi, 264 ppi and 326 ppi, in 7.9 in and 9.7 in (diagonal), 1024 x 768 px and 2048 x 1536 px wide.

I think most screen designers want is a 1:1 view which would never replicate the physical dimensions of a device, but does give you an accurate pixel view—so if a vertical or horizontal 1 pixel line is displaying as anti-aliased at the 1:1 view you would know right away the line's x, y coordinates aren't on a whole pixel, or the line's pixel width isn't a whole number.

If you want a view of a device's physical dimensions in ID you could set up the doc's width and height to match the device's screen res and divide by 72 to get the physical size zoom percentage. So the iPhone4 would be 22% in CS6 or later or:

tell application "Adobe InDesign CS6"

set iPhone4res to 326

set zoom percentage of active window to (72 / iPhone4res) * 100

end tell

In that case the page view matches the iPhone's physical dimension, but I no longer have an accurate pixel view. In the end a physical dimension view isn't very useful, because I'm not likely to be designing for one device, but a 1 image pixel to 1 monitor pixel view where the pixels aren't being resampled to fit a certain zoom level is very useful.

• 10. Re: 1:1 View
                            mowglivj Level 1

Agree 100%

• 11. Re: 1:1 View
                              Spen Level 1

Same here. Agree 100%. I've been following this issue since CS6. Can't believe it's taking so long to implement this. Robs script works perfectly (thanks again Rob) but it's still a deal breaker for many designers who simply don't bother trying to figure this out. InDesign is an amazing UI design tool, particularly for large scale responsive applications. Sketch and Macaw are gaining momentum but they still don't offer some of the powerful features available in InDesign.

Come on Adobe, how hard can this be?

• 12. Re: 1:1 View
                                00rhodiad Level 1

This bug (yes, it's a bug, in that it's a consistently reproducible error) is a deal-killer. Indesign is quite unusable for web work without the user running a script to patch the application.

It seems like it would be a rather simple thing to have a preference that would allow the user to set a document's screen resolution. I'm sure Adobe has a reason for disallowing, but why not just state that reason in a disclaimer/explanation below the preference like they do with "Appearance of black" or "Technology Previews"? Hey, make the user "unlock" the setting. That'd still be a lot more convenient and lower risk than forcing users to resort to scripts.

Or maybe Scripts is an underused Indesign feature that Adobe is wishing to highlight?

• 13. Re: 1:1 View

is a deal-killer

Prior to CS6 there were dozens of threads from print designers complaining about 100% not equaling actual print size, I doubt there were many who refused to use ID because there was no way to display actual print size from the GUI without a script.

It is strange that CC2014 took away the zoom tool double-click equals 1:1, but if you are going to refuse to use scripting out of some principle I'm sure you can find dozens of other deal-killers

• 14. Re: 1:1 View
                                    00rhodiad Level 1

Ok, ok, you're right, it's not literally a deal-killer for everyone. I admit, I use indesign in our web design workflow in spite of having had to use a non-Adobe-supported script to hack the preference file. Did I do it against "principle?" You bet I did. I just doubt that the majority of Indesign's target audience would be willing to do this. And without it, never knowing what the actual size of something is, is, indeed, a deal-killer for most users trying to use Indesign for web.

But maybe that's the real message here. The lack of a pixel-based view mode indicates Adobe's focus for the app: resolution-independent design. And that's totally fair, just unfortunate in my opinion. I just feel that Indesign is a FAR superior web comping layout tool than either Photoshop of Illustrator, both of which are clearly being put forward as resolution-dependent web creation tools.

I'm also an eager proponent of resolution-independent design—I'll be very pleased when we get there. When the majority of displays resample the images and display things at other than native resolution, like most iPhones now do, or when some sort of non-pixel display tech arrives, then I'll ecstatically not care what size my pixels are so long as the resolution is high enough to be sharp. Until then, I'd really like to be able to set a preference so I can create an object of non-arbitrary size in Indesign and have it end up the same size when I paste it into Photoshop. And I'd like to be able to present or approve a web concept in Indesign with type sizes that won't change and bite me in the *** when I have the real site built. And yes, I'd like to be able to do that without having to confirm with everyone on the design team that they also have used a non-Adobe-supported script to hack their Indesign preference file so that we're all seeing and approving the same thing.

If that's available as a document-level preference, all the better! Then it would never confuse any print designer who expects "100% view" of their business card to display at exactly 2" x 3.5" on their screen. I just don't see any reason why this preference shouldn't be available to the user other than if Adobe is wanting to actively discourage the use of Indesign for web use. And if Adobe is actually telling me that Indesign isn't a tool I should use for web, then, well... that should be a deal-killer. I'll still use Indesign for print work, but I'll avoid using it for web design. I don't want to base my workflow on a tool I'm intentionally and actively being discouraged from using. I'd be more wise to use the tool that is being specifically developed for the task. More and more often lately, that's been Muse. Which I love dearly and swear at a lot. It just makes me miss Indesign.

• 15. Re: 1:1 View

Did I do it against "principle?" You bet I did.

I can't imagine not using InDesign's most powerful feature.

• 16. Re: 1:1 View
                                        00rhodiad Level 1

I'm intrigued! This might become off-topic, but would you mind sharing what your favorite scripts are or maybe your favorite source of scripts? Pixelperfect is the only one I've ever used! (Thank you again and AGAIN, by the way.)

• 17. Re: 1:1 View

There are lots of free shareware scripts out there. Sites like In-Tools:

InDesign Scripts | in-tools.com

If you are using OSX this AppleScript I wrote is useful for moving ID layered files over to PS for final wireframing:

how to export indesign layers to photoshop layers (same structure)

The most recent version is in the last post #145

• 18. Re: 1:1 View
                                            00rhodiad Level 1

Thanks, I'll check them out. ID layers to PS layers sounds very useful! Clearly I've been under-using Indesign's scripting feature.