• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Generated list with section numbers

New Here ,
Aug 01, 2014 Aug 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Frame 11 to format book chapters. Headings use an autonumber format to indicate successive sections throughout the chapter (i.e., 5.0, 5.1, 5.2, etc.). So headings have section numbers, but there may be multiple paragraphs beneath a heading that are not numbered (e.g., section 5.1 might have 3 paragraphs of text beneath it). I'm using markers to highlight citations within the text paragraphs in order to generate an alphabetical list of citations. But I want the citations in the list to reference section numbers instead of page numbers. Is this possible if every paragraph does not have a corresponding section number? In other words, will a citation in the second paragraph of section 5.1 show § 5.1 (i.e., defaulting to the most recent prior section number if the paragraph in which the citation appears does not have its own section number)? If this is possible, can someone tell me how to set that up? Thanks so much.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There may be more elegant suggestions, but hack this works ...

• Create a named color named, say, Invisible (which can be white, or a visible color set to Invisible by Color Views at rendering time).
  • Create a Character Format named, say, Invisible:
    All details blank or As-Is except:
    Size: [2.0 pt] (see further remarks)
    Color: [Invisible]
  • Have all your body paragraph formats be auto-numbered (AN) as follows.
    Autonumber Format [<n>.<n>] (i.e. use the current subsection number)
    Character Format: [Invisible]
    Position [End of Paragraph]

The point of the point size 2 is to reduce (but, alas, not eliminate, the chances that the paragraph will end up with an extra blank line due to wrapping of the AN). Using the Color Views technique, it will be visible to the author as a tiny greeked artifact.

Cross-References by <$paranum> pick up the current subsection for every such paragraph.

A generated LOP (List of Paragraphs) does as well, although you might have to edit the LOP file's Reference Page APL and change all <$pagenum> to <$paranum>.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I'll give that a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 02, 2014 Aug 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An alternative to using point size 2 is to set Stretch to [ 0.0% ] in Character Format.

This makes the AN invisible and have zero effect on paragraph formatting (if somewhat harder to see when authoring). So you wouldn't need to use the End of Paragraph positioning with 0 Stretch.

Either approach makes any Paragraph Format using this trick actually be an auto-numbered para for cross-reference and generated list purposes, but not look like one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 26, 2014 Aug 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It turns out, on testing, that Stretch 0.0% doesn't work. FM silently resets it to 10.0%.

So the autonumbered paragraph with invisible autonumbering solution probably needs to be:

1. Create a named color for use as invisible text, for example:
    Name: HiddenAN
    Color: CMYK Magenta 100%
  2. In whatever Color View you use for publishing (default is CV #1),
    move color HiddenAN to the Invisible column [Set].
    Use another CV for edit, in which this color is visible.
  3. Create a Character Format named, say, HiddenText, that has
    all fields set to blank or As-Is except:
    Color: HiddenAN
    Spread: 0.0%
    Stretch: 10.0%
  4. In the para tag that needs hidden autonumbering, say Heading1, set Numbering to:
  5. Autonumber Format:
    [ <n+> ]
    Character Format:
    [ HiddenText ]
    Position:
    [ End of Paragraph ]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines