• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does displaying the master TOC in a merged CHM still work under Win7?

Explorer ,
Aug 04, 2014 Aug 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, we used to display the TOC of the master project when any of the merged sub-CHMs are opened. For this, in the merged projects it was necessary to point the advanced properties of the window to the hhc of the master, e.g.:

master.chm::/master.hhc

(see also this topic: Context-Sensitive Help and Merged Projects)

It seems that this does not work any more, no TOC is displayed at all now using this method. Has anybody used this method under Win7 64bit?

Robert

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 04, 2014 Aug 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of RH are you using. There was an issue with absolute path names in RH9 although this was fixed in a patch. Also ensure you have no blanks or underscores in your CHM file names.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 05, 2014 Aug 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the current version RH 11, the file names do not have any blanks or underscores in them. I also created new test projects just named 'master', 'alpha', 'beta' etc to test merging and the problem remains.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am afraid I gave up using merged CHMs many years ago before Win 64 came along so do not know what more I can add t this thread. It maybe worth trying to compile the master using the Microsoft HTML Help workshop to see if that makes any difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the HTML Help Workshop sems to work! However, I cannot compile the RH project directly because the topic files ar not clean HTML. So I have to compile a CHM first, then decompile this and copy the hhp file from the Robohelp project into the decompiled files. Then, using the HHW I compile it again.. the result does work out (the master-TOC appears in the merged sub project) but I think the effort might be too high.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spoke too early - the master TOC is only displayed when the merged CHM is opened directly (by double-click). When I open the merged CHM using a context call via map number, the correct topic is displayed but no TOC at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps you need to examine the Window definition? Or does the window open with an empty space where the TOC would be?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I used the window name "$global_standard" in all help projects. Is this a problem? I though this naming is necessary.

When I call the merged project with a map number, then the window opens correctly, also the correct topic is displayed. The TOC tab is completely empty (white space).

This is very strange, because if I open the very same CHM by double-clicking then the TOC is present..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp