Exit

Like others, I can't install Adobe Flash. I can only get to the grey/black box

New Here ,
Aug 03, 2014 Aug 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 7 Home Premium

Internet Explorer 11

This started a month ago when an update wouldn't install.

I worked all today on this and read everything. Can't get it to install.

In an attempt to start over I uninstalled Flash but can't install anything.

Must restart the PC to get rid of the grey/black box.

Help and thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 04, 2014 Aug 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exactly means "wouldn't" and "can't"; do you get any error messages?

Can you post the contents of the FlashInstall.log file in C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That "grey/black box" - is that the installer?  If so, use these installer(s):

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat, thank you. Done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We spent some time last week digging into this with a few people, and from what I've seen, the issue is that you need to pick up the latest Certificate Authority root certificates. 

CAs are companies that validate that software publishers and the software that they publish is legitimate.  They mark code as approved by issuing a cryptographic certificate to the companies they approve.  The companies then use that certificate to sign their code.  Your computer checks to see that the code was signed by us and was not modified in transit, and also derives the root certificate authority that issued the key, and validates that our certificate was signed by a legitimate CA (who would typically validate that we're an actual company and that the employees requesting the certificate are authorized to do so).

The root CA certificates change every few years, and you need to pick up the most current set.  Typically you would get these through Windows Update, but it seems like a number of people don't have them.  The following guide tells you how to pick up the latest copy for your particular OS version.

How to get a Root Certificate update for Windows

I'd really appreciate feedback on whether or not applying these updates allows the other installer that you downloaded (aih_<whatever>_install_flash_player.exe) to work correctly.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines