Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hyperlinks not appearing after publishing

Explorer ,
Jul 23, 2007 Jul 23, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I'm hoping someone out there can help me out. I'm working with RoboHelp 5.0.2 and i'm working off my C drive. In our project i'm working on, i've created hyperlinks to other HTM pages within the project. The links work fine in the preview but as soon as i publish the project the hyperlinks do not appear. I've removed the link in the project and re-added the links and they still will not appear. Is it possible RH doesn't like to use long file names in the path? This is happening on several pages. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You say they do not appear. Is the text there but not formatted as a link? Or has the link text has gone missing?

Have you tried View Source in the output to see how the link is formatted?

Is it that all links on these pages do not work or just some?

If you suspect long file names, have you tried shortening them?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Peter,

Thanks for replying. The text is still there but it's not formatted as a hyperlink. It's a few links that do not work. On some of the other topic pages the same links work and on others they don't. After it the project is published this is what it looks like through View Source.

<tr valign="top" class="whs18">
<td onMouseOver="this.bgColor='rgb(185, 211, 238)'" onMouseOut="this.bgColor='rgb(255, 255, 255)'" ;&quot;width: 85.107%; padding-right: 10px; padding-left: border-left-style: Solid ; border-left-color:

#7d7d7d; border-right-style: border-right-color: border-bottom-style: border-bottom-color: border-bottom-width: 1px; border-right-width: border-left-width: 1px;&quot; width="79.253%" class="whs28">
<p class="whs26"><a href>Disbursements,
Holds, Refunds and Withdrawals</a></td></tr>

This is what it's suppose to look like through True Code in RoboHelp

<tr style="x-cell-content-align: top;"
valign=top>
<td_null>
<td onMouseOver="this.bgColor='rgb(185, 211, 238)'"
onMouseOut="this.bgColor='rgb(255, 255, 255)'"
;&quot;width:
85.107%;
padding-right:
10px;
padding-left:
border-left-style:
Solid;
border-left-color:
#7d7d7d;
border-right-style:
border-right-color:
border-bottom-style:
border-bottom-color:
border-bottom-width:
1px;
border-right-width:
border-left-width:
1px;&quot;
style="width: 79.253%;
padding-right: 10px;
padding-left: 10px;
border-right-style: none;
border-bottom-style: dashed;
border-bottom-width: 1px;"
width=79.253%>
<p style="color: #959595; font-size: 8pt;"><a href="../../Disbursements_Holds_Refunds_and_Withdrawals/DeVry_Call_Center_Disbursements_Holds_Refunds_and_Withdrawals.htm">Disbursements,
Holds, Refunds and Withdrawals</a></td></tr>

If i open up the published HTM and paste

<a href="../../Disbursements_Holds_Refunds_and_Withdrawals/DeVry_Call_Center_Disbursements_Holds_Refunds_and_Withdrawals.htm">Disbursements, Holds, Refunds and Withdrawals</a>

the code into the HTM and save it, it works; however when the project is published again RoboHelp will overwrite the HTM and the hyperlink will disappear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With paths like that you don't need any content in your topics! :-)

If you look at the output, there is a tag <a href>. That should also contain the path and file name. My guess is that you are on track suspecting the length.

Check the length of those that work and those that do not.

Also, I assume the target is in the project.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: Peter Grainge

If you look at the output, there is a tag <a href>. That should also contain the path and file name. My guess is that you are on track suspecting the length.

Hello Peter,

Yes, those are long paths. On other pages the same links work but on certain pages they don't work. Yes, the target is within the project.

This is kind of frustrating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: Peter Grainge

Hello Peter,

I believe it doesn't work because the pathway is too long. What i did was deleted "Disbursements_Holds_Refunds_and_Withdrawals/" out of the path so it looks like this
<a href="../../DeVry_Call_Center_Disbursements_Holds_Refunds_and_Withdrawals.htm">Disbursements,
Holds, Refunds and Withdrawals</a> then i re-published the project and the hyperlink worked. I can't believe RoboHelp can't handle long pathway names.

thanks for trying to help me out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ODoyle,

If I have copied and pasted correctly from your posts, the first path is not the same as the second. It looks like the first has one more level of directories to travel than the second one. If the second one is correct, that means the first would be flagged as a broken link and not carried over into the output.

<a href=
"../../Disbursements_Holds_Refunds_and_Withdrawals/DeVry_Call_Center_Disbursements_Holds_Refunds_and_Withdrawals.htm">Disbursements,
Holds, Refunds and Withdrawals</a>
a href=

(Back up two levels, go into the directory Disbursements_Holds_Refunds_and_Withdrawals,
and open the topic
DeVry_Call_Center_Disbursements_Holds_Refunds_and_Withdrawals.htm)

"../../DeVry_Call_Center_Disbursements_Holds_Refunds_and_Withdrawals.htm">Disbursements, Holds, Refunds and Withdrawals</a>

(Back up two levels,
and open the topic

Or are you saying that the first was correct, and you changed the directory structure in between, so the second also was correct. but the first didn't work because it was too long?

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: HKabaker
ODoyle,

If I have copied and pasted correctly from your posts, the first path is not the same as the second. It looks like the first has one more level of directories to travel than the second one. If the second one is correct, that means the first would be flagged as a broken link and not carried over into the output.

<a href=
"../../Disbursements_Holds_Refunds_and_Withdrawals/DeVry_Call_Center_Disbursements_Holds_Refunds_and_Withdrawals.htm">Disbursements,
Holds, Refunds and Withdrawals</a>
a href=

(Back up two levels, go into the directory Disbursements_Holds_Refunds_and_Withdrawals,
and open the topic

"../../DeVry_Call_Center_Disbursements_Holds_Refunds_and_Withdrawals.htm">Disbursements, Holds, Refunds and Withdrawals</a>

(Back up two levels,
and open the topic

Or are you saying that the first was correct, and you changed the directory structure in between, so the second also was correct. but the first didn't work because it was too long?

Harvey

Hello Harvey.

The first one is the correct pathway and that is the one RoboHelp has isses with and did not generate the hyperlink.

The second one is the incorrect one, what i did was delete the folder "Disbursements_Holds_Refunds_and_Withdrawals/" out of the pathway to shorten it up and then i published the project to test the long pathway theory. After the project was published, RoboHelp finally generated the hyperlink. Just to let you know, i did not physically change the directory structure, only the deleted a directory from the pathway just to shorten it up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 24, 2007 Jul 24, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
ODoyle,

I've sent you a private message.

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp