• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

GTX 750 Ti sufficient for GPU Acceleration in CC 2014?

Explorer ,
Aug 03, 2014 Aug 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Upgrading from a HD 5870 hopefully - just wanted to know if the GTX 750 Ti with its CUDA technologies would be sufficient for GPU accelerated applications like Pr, Ae, Sg, Ps, Lr and so on? Asking in the Pr forums because that's the application I use the most.

System specs:

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3

Core i5 2500K @ 4.3GHz

Arctic Cooling Freezer 13

16GB RipJaws-X 1648MHz

ATI Sapphire Radeon HD 5870

OCZ Vertex 4 128GB | WD Green 2TB | WD Green 3TB

LG BH16NS40 Blu-Ray Burner

OCZ ZS 650W

NZXT Lexa S

Windows 8.1 Pro x64

Not too bothered about gaming performance. I don't want to spend a lot of money and the 750 Ti at around £100 seems a good balance between value for money and performance.

The 5870 did work fine with OpenCL and Adobe CC 2014 but for various reasons I'd like to upgrade and go back to NVIDIA.

Thanks all

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 03, 2014 Aug 03, 2014

That GPU would certainly be enough for your system, but I would also replace the green drives with 7200 RPM drives and perhaps increase the RAM.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That GPU would certainly be enough for your system, but I would also replace the green drives with 7200 RPM drives and perhaps increase the RAM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great thanks. Green drives are fine for me and RAM at 16GB is also fine so not going to replace those. Thanks though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Aug 04, 2014 Aug 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then a GT 740 is more than enough. A GTX 750Ti is overkill, a waste of money and will be idle most of the time, because the rest of the system can not keep up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 19, 2014 Dec 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be careful when choosing a GT 740: There are two versions of the GT 740 - one (DDR3) that's a higher-clocked GT 640; the other (GDDR5) a slightly lower-clocked GTX 650. If one chooses the DDR3 version of the GT 740, he could end up with slower performance in Premiere CC 2014 than if he chose even a GT 730 with GDDR5 memory.

That said, I tested an MSI GTX 750 Ti in my auxiliary i5-2400 system with only PCI-e 2.0 capability: Performance-wise (in the MPEG-2 DVD test in the PPBM8 benchmark for CC 2014), that GPU (by my preliminary results) is equal to a GTX 560 (non-Ti) that was previously in that system (this despite the significantly lower 86.4 GB/sec memory throughput of the 750 Ti versus the 128.2 GB/sec throughput of the 560). I will have more detailed results from the 750 Ti-equipped i5 later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 19, 2014 Dec 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have just completed running the entire PPBM8 script with the GTX 750 Ti, and compared it to the results that I had obtained over two weeks ago with the older GTX 560 card.

GTX 750 Ti on CC 2014.8.2 (1TB Samsung F3 as project disk):

i5-750ti.png

GTX 560 on CC 2014.8.1 (1TB Western Digital Black WD1002FAEX as project drive):

i5.png

It appears that the first-generation Maxwell (GM107) GPU somehow improved the H.264 rendering/encoding performance compared to the older Fermi (GF114) GPU. The MPEG-2 rendering/encoding performance is practically equal with both of these particular GPUs.

Verdict? The GTX 750 Ti is the right choice for a PC that's equipped (however less than ideally) with a higher-end i5 without hyperthreading or a quad-core i7 that cannot be overclocked much if at all (and this is assuming that that PC has a sufficiently fast disk subsystem).

By the way, the GT 740 that was suggested for the OP's system (given the "Green" drives) is not a Maxwell-generation GPU at all - but a Kepler-generation GPU (in this case, based on the GK107) instead. The GT 730 with GDDR5 memory that I recommended as an alternative to the GT 740 DDR3 is based on the GK208 GPU. (And I do not recommend most GT 730s on the market as they are based on an old Fermi-generation GPU - the GF108 that debuted with the GT 430 back in 2010.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 05, 2014 Aug 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

as CC has said...your current system is WOEFULLY inadequate for running the 2014 CCloud apps....esp. PPro and After Effects. These programs are PROFESSIONAL LEVEL and are written to take advantage of recent hardware improvements like :CPU MULTI THREADING,( you dont have), larger system memory...32 or 64 GB minimum, ( you dont have), fast storage drives for serving up video files and tracks like Pro level SSDs,or, RAID array of 7200 rpm disks, ( you dont have), AND GPU acceleration with NVidia cards ONLY, ( you MAY have). Even WITH a capable NVidia card...your other current components will bottleneck and cripple its performance. Go to the video benchmarking site PPBM7 and SEE how various machines have tested...then, learn on their " tweakers page" how to properly configure a machine for good performance. Even though Adobe has achieved MAJOR performance increases in the most recent version of CCloud, you STILL need to follow some rules to get adequate performance......NO " GREEN" HDDs in the editing workflow !!!...add a fast pro level SSD to house your footage,project files,media caches, and previews....green drives can serve as backups for this data. Increase system memory to at least 32GB to take advantage of Adobes better use of memory to speed performance. Although  your CPU clock is great....and that is important....the lack of " hyperthreading" will handicap your performance compared to an i7 which has 8 threads,compared to your 4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 05, 2014 Aug 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow you're taking things way too seriously. It works fine on my system.

But now that I know what graphics card to buy, I will buy it once my 5870 has sold.

Thanks all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines