• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to "force" format a Heading that doesn't screw up the Table of Contents?

Engaged ,
Aug 07, 2014 Aug 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've used SHIFT+ENTER to force the rest of the heading onto the next line, but it screws up the TOC.

Suggestions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 07, 2014 Aug 07, 2014

Don't use hard returns. Anchor an empty Anchored Frame frame at that heading, Run Into Para, from Right, height equivalent to 3 heading text lines.

Put a non-breaking space between Tuesday and morning, to keep them on the same line (Ctrl+spacebar).

Grab the left edge of the AF with the graphics tool and drag it left it to squeeze the heading left until it flows as you desire for on-page appearance. The TOC entry will still be one line.

I can think of several other ways to accomplish this, but the R

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try using the following option:

heading.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, RoboColum, but my issue is the opposite, i.e.

Prologue:

Tuesday morning

where I have SHIFT+ENTER at the end of the first two lines, but I want the TOC to show

Prologue: Tuesday morning 1830

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think there is anyway around this. The TOC is built using the paragraph tags you use. If there is a tag spread over three lines, it is duplicated in the TOC. I think you will have to manually edit the TOC after you update the book.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Don't use hard returns. Anchor an empty Anchored Frame frame at that heading, Run Into Para, from Right, height equivalent to 3 heading text lines.

Put a non-breaking space between Tuesday and morning, to keep them on the same line (Ctrl+spacebar).

Grab the left edge of the AF with the graphics tool and drag it left it to squeeze the heading left until it flows as you desire for on-page appearance. The TOC entry will still be one line.

I can think of several other ways to accomplish this, but the RRI frame technique is by far the easiest, and the most comprehensible to future document stewards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines