• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

psql datasource

Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2014 Aug 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have set up a psql datasource(odbc) in cf10.  Everything works fine, but some tables require a password.  In order to provide the password, for each databse connection, I need to make the following SQL statement:  SET OWNER='myPassword';

I do not want that statement before every query.  I could use cfinclude and have the password in one file.  But, I would rather have it as part of the datasource settings.  Is there anyway to do this?  Can I set up the above command to run in the datasource settings?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 07, 2014 Aug 07, 2014

wannab0133 wrote:

<cfquery name="tripList" DATASOURCE="myDatasource">

<cfinclude template="shared/setOwner.cfm">

SELECT * from "TRIPS"

</cfquery>

That is, naturally, a correct and good example of reuse. However, my preferred solution would be to treat the query string as an application constant. That is, I would place the following in the onApplicationStart method in Application.cfc:

<cfset application.setOwnerQuery = "SET OWNER='myOwner';">

(If the variable depends on the current use

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 07, 2014 Aug 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wannab0133 wrote:

some tables require a password... Can I set up the above command to run in the datasource settings?

Yes, using the cfquery tag that sends a query to the table, like this

<cfquery username="dbUser" password="dbPassword">

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BKBK,

I will try that, but that only overrides the password set up in the datasource.  I am trying to run an sql statement before every query that includes an owner name....SET OWNER='myPassword'  The owner name is not the same as the datasource password.  Also, I don't want the owner name all over the code, or even in one place unless I can hash it.  I appreciate the reply and I will try this and see what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What brand of SQL/database are you using? How does the query look like in full? If it is a composite query, then the "Validation Query" setting might be a possible solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pervasive SQL (PSQL) utilizing an odbc datasource.

<cfquery name="queryName" DATASOURCE="myDatasource">

SET OWNER='myOwnerName';

SELECT * FROM "TRIPS";

</cfquery>

The SET OWNER statement includes the owner name which is essentially a password in PSQL.  I don't want to have to have that statement everywhere in the code.  It needs to run for every sql session.  I would prrefer to have that statement set up in the datasource settings within the coldfusion administrator. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the explanation. I am curious to know whether my earlier suggestion would work.

Go to the datasource page in the Coldfusion Administrator. Open the settings for the datasource concerned, and navigate to 'Advanced Settings'. Enter the value of Validation Query as SET OWNER='myOwnerName'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried that, and it did not work unfortunately.  The datasource did test ok after adding the sql string in the validation query box, but when I ran a query, it gave me an owner name not specified error.  I also tried the specifying username and password in the cfquery tag.  That didnt work either.  I can do the following:

SELECT * from "TRIPS"

</cfquery>

The above works fine.  The contents of setOwner.cfm is: "SET OWNER='myOwner';"

That way, I only have one file with the ownername.  Is this an acceptable workaround?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

wannab0133 wrote:

SELECT * from "TRIPS"

</cfquery>

That is, naturally, a correct and good example of reuse. However, my preferred solution would be to treat the query string as an application constant. That is, I would place the following in the onApplicationStart method in Application.cfc:

<cfset application.setOwnerQuery = "SET OWNER='myOwner';">

(If the variable depends on the current user, then store it in the session scope instead, in the method onSessionStart.)

Later on,

#application.setOwnerQuery#

SELECT * from "TRIPS"

</cfquery>

I consider this simpler in concept.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation