• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Index in Robohelp's Help not searching

New Here ,
Jul 24, 2007 Jul 24, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running RH6 on XP and when I'm in the help for Robohelp, in the index feature, the index does not search as I type. Has anyone seen this happen ?

Thanks Much!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 25, 2007 Jul 25, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm assuming you are searching the compiled index.

Are all of your entries at the parent level - i.e to the left of the index?

If you have parent/child realtionships in the index, note RH only searches entries at parent level.

(Fell into this trap myself).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tom is talking about the help for RoboHelp, not one of his projects.

It seems to be broken.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Opps...

RTFM.

:o)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 25, 2008 Apr 25, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just ran into this too (just started using RH6 after a long period). How annoying! I submitted a support request. Expecting a help authoring tool to include a WORKING help file is a valid expectation in my opinion...

-kc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi KC

Have you tried enabling the off-line help? (Tools > Options > General tab)

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. That's what I was using to begin with. I tried the online Help to see if it worked but it doesn't.

kc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

Hmmm, I vaguely recall that you might be able to find a .CHM file tucked inside among your installation files. You might crack Windows Explorer open and see if you find a .CHM there. If so, open it up and see if you have better results.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick replies, Rick! I did indeed find a chm version of the RoboHelp HTML V6 Help at:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\RoboHelp 6.0\RoboHTML\Robohtml.chm

And the index in that version works properly, so I created a shortcut to it on my desktop.

It appears that RoboHelp HTML launches a FlashHelp version (?) of their Help rather than the .chm, even when you have selected "Use offline help." The chm is not used from within the application. Because the FlashHelp files are on my disk, wouldn't they get updated if, say, Adobe was to fix that V6.0 Help file on their server and I accessed it online first, and then offline? Or is that just wishful thinking? ;*)

kc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

Glad you were able to find it. Unfortunately I don't believe they have any sort of updating functionality for synchronizing the help.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 28, 2008 Apr 28, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just FYI, the response from Adobe support was that the 6.0 Help file has not been updated and to please upgrade to 7.0, where this problem has been fixed. (Won't get into my thoughts on the perception that a broken help file in a help authoring tool creates...! ;*)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi KC

For me, the perception would be equivalent to what I'd be thinking if I purchased a table saw and noticed that any chairs that the company made to illustrate how to use the saw weren't quite perfect. Now let Norm Abrams have a go at it and WOW!

The bottom line is that RoboHelp is just a tool. The fact their help system isn't awesome doesn't mean the tool is bad or defective, only that they aren't all that familiar with how to create helpful help.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
quote:

Originally posted by: Captiv8rThe fact their help system isn't awesome doesn't mean the tool is bad or defective, only that they aren't all that familiar with how to create helpful help.
That is technically correct... 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp