• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Strange Index and Search behavior

Apr 17, 2007 Apr 17, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

When the WebHelp I've created is viewed in Firefox 2.0 and Safari on a Mac, the Search button does not reveal a search box, but instead looks like an index, with some of the words followed by numbers, and some words in bold text. This does not occur on Windows machines. Is there any way to correct this problem in WebHelp?

Thanks!

Jennifer Bennett

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2007 Apr 26, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am seeing the same thing, but in Windows XP using either IE7 or Firefox 2.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use XP and Firefox 2.0.0.3. The Index performs the same as in IE.

Possible issues related to the Index defaulting to the more primitive form:

Did you generate WebHelp DHTML > Applet > Html?

Do you have browser security settings to allow ActiveX? Popups?

Are files present in whdata, whgdata and whxdata ouput directories?

Oops, I forgot you said Mac OS. I'm not sure whether the RH Index function works there. I defer to our colleagues.

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I generated previously with only HTML. I generated it again, this time using DHTML, and there are now and index and search box to type in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2007 May 21, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm missing the Search text box on Mac after generating DHTML or pure HTML - in Safari, Firefox, and IE. Up until now we have been generating FlashHelp and never had this problem.

-Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check browser security, privacy and advanced settings to be sure they allow ActiveX controls, Javascript, etc., and do not block popups.

What happens when you generate with Applet enabled?

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. Would this be merged webhelp by any chance? I found today that on a Mac a single webhelp project ran OK but not merged webhelp. The latter has exactly the problem you describe.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2007 May 22, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not merged webhelp and I have double checked to be sure the browsers allow ActiveX controls, JavaScript, and I disabled the popup blockers.

I get the same problem with or without the Java Applet and with or without DHTML (I've tried all four options under "Navigation Pane Preferred Format."

Looks perfectly fine in Windows.

I imported an old WinHelp rtf when I started this project, and also imported some FrameMaker MIF files - not sure if this would have anything to do with it.

-Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2007 Jul 24, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had the same experience: different options come up for Search on Mac browsers(Safari, Firefox) than on PC browsers (IE, Firefox). I am using RoboHelp 5 (actually, RoboHelp HTML) and generating a non-merged project using the DHTML option. I am wondering if others experiencing this issue are using version 5 or 6, since I am trying to figure out if this issue has been fixed in 6.

Thanks!

Stephanie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 25, 2007 Jul 25, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Stephanie,

Welcome to the forum.

The quick answer is, no.

RH discriminates among browsers, but needs to be updated. I have a bug report / feature request pending with Adobe.

Mac OS doesn't handle DTHML. Because they are not routed through DTHML code, Mac browsers show the list with each term linked by topic numbers it assigns to the database. It doesn't much matter how you generate (maybe applet works; I'm not sure). You can see a bit of the different approaches by opening files in the whdata, whgdata and whxdata output folders with a text editor (or xml editor, in whxdata).

Some PC browsers also get this default treatment.

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp