Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CC - Arabic Language Problem

New Here ,
Nov 26, 2013 Nov 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1st Problem:

Downloaded InDesign CC, everything worked great..

Until, one day.. typing the "." (dot) in Arabic gives me "%"!!!

Tried to change fonts play with prefrences.. but nothing helps!!

2nd Problem:

Since I have InDesign CC, when writing numbers in arabic all I get is boxes, while switching to English types numbers as it's supposed to be..

Did you try changing font? - YES, same problem

Was it like that on InDesign CS4? - NO

Did you change anything since the upgrade? - NO, everything is the same even same document

Did you try to open a new document? - YES, same problem

Was the problem from the beginning?     - 1st problem: NO!!:| it worked great but in one night the dot dissapeared!.
                                                                      - 2nd problem: YES

Searched everywhere couldn't find an answer..

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I probably can't help with this, but I think it would also be useful to know which OS you use, and if you checked the language settings for the keyboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3, Version 10.8.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have the version for Arabic Support downloaded? In the CC app you can change the language for Apps download in the preferences. In InDesign you have to use that language as primary language in the OS or you have to avoid the installation of any other language version. (In Photoshop you could change it later in the preferences.On the Mac you can buy an additional program like Tinker Tool System where you can specify an Application to launch with a different available language as the OS is set up.)

Has your paragraph style the correct language? E.g. a Western language would put normal numbers, if Farsi or another RTL language is choosen, numbers are from that language.

Does your font have all Arabic glyphs? You can check it in InDesign in the Glyph Panel. I would also recommend to use an advanced OTF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the arabic support downloaded, preferences are right and set to arabic..

I don't see how downloading additional program will help as everything worked great it just changed in a night, it worked right without any additional programs..

paragraph style has the correct language, still no numbers and no "dot".. when typing "dot" (.) i get (%),, the glyphs are right..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 27, 2013 Nov 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What keyboard do you have selected?

Screen Shot 2013-11-27 at 8.22.58 AM.png

I don't know Arabic input methods on the Mac well enough to know what the percent-sign-substitution means. Is this on the main part of the keyboard or on the numerical 10-key keyboard off to the right? Is your physical keyboard Latin-script or Arabic script?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2013 Nov 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it the keyboard has Arabic too..

numbers don't work either ways (above the "qwertyuiop" and the 10-key keyboard)Screen Shot 2013-11-28 at 7.48.22 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 19, 2013 Dec 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also struggling with this issue of full stops (.) being replaced by percent sign (%) in InDesign CS6. There was a temporary fix after removing the preferences and saved data for ID, but after two days of working on the book, the issue is back.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5936972#5936972

The procedure for removing/resetting the preferences was taken from:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/526990

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 20, 2013 Dec 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using Mac please go to InDesign>Preferences>Advanced Type and turn off "Use Native Digits When Typing in Arabic Scripts" option.

If you are using Win please go to Edit>Preferences>Advanced Type and turn off "Use Native Digits When Typing in Arabic Scripts" option.

Thanks,

Irfan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2016 Jan 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Irfangreen

The problem was fixed when I unchecked this option.

My version is 11.0.0.72 x64 Build, which is Adobe Indesign CC 2015.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2023 Apr 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much, i had the same issue and your tip resolved the issue!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2014 Aug 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I Have the same problem, I'm wondering how Adobe ignore this issue since CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2016 Sep 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the right Answer !! it's worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines