• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

WARNING: "Make FLV" feature is now (for me) recording ENTIRE screen, not just Connect video!

Community Expert ,
Aug 11, 2014 Aug 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Folks, the title says it all. I've been using Connect for years, but suddenly I am finding that when I use the feature on a recorded meeting to "make flv", it not only records the meeting video but ANY WINDOW I MAY VIEW ON MY COMPUTER while that make flv recording is processing.

Now, I do not see others complaining about this, so perhaps there's some combination of factors that makes it happen for me and not others. But maybe they just have not noticed it. I had always feared this for years, but when I checked it never happened, until I notice it happening now in recordings I've made in recent days.

You can see a real example of this issue, in the following dropbox video. In just the first 10 seconds, you can see both the windows task bar at the bottom and me switching to other windows, all recorded.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/73bv90reic9d5sb/Speaker%20panel_Into%20the%20Box%20Conference.flv

This is devastating, because I post these recordings on the web after the meeting. If I had not noticed it, I might have viewed sensitive email, password files, etc, while recording. And you can see the Connect meeting recording from which I was using the "make flv" here: http://experts.adobeconnect.com/p6vtmdknx1n/ . There is clearly no windows desktop being recorded in that meeting. What you see in the FLV above is from when I was MAKING the flv, which is the terrible problem.

If it's somehow limited to me, I'll be happy just to solve it for me and be glad for others, but can anyone from Adobe help here?

And if you (fellow Connect users) DO make recordings, you may want to do a test and confirm if it's working as expected for you (recording ONLY the connect video and nothing else on your computer). It will be interesting to hear what combination of factors may cause this to happen and when it changed.

I'm not aware of any change in my hardware or software to effect this, but perhaps there's been a change on the server? My connect meetings are hosted by Adobe, at https://experts.adobeconnect.com. I am creating the recordings on the same Windows 7 machine I have for years, and the Flash player shows being 14.0.0.145, and I'm using Chrome as my browser. If I start my meeting and choose the help>About option, it reports Connect 9.2.2, and the add-in as WIN 11.9.970.233.

Any help appreciated, and hope it may also help others if they may have the same problem.

Message was edited by: Charlie Arehart Tweaked title to indicate more clearly that this is happening "for me", at least, and also changed the URL where I said my recordings are hosted. I originally gave the URL for my meeting room, rather than where the recordings are. Of course, one needs to login (and have a login) to see those recordings. I just wanted to show anyone who would help that my Connect account is indeed hosted by Adobe, FWIW.

Message was edited by: Charlie Arehart Added link to the original Connect recording, so folks can see that the info in the FLV is NOT from the original Connect meeting recording.

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 11, 2014 Aug 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would recommend that you call Support and make sure they see the problem. They are the best resource you have for identifying what is causing this change in behavior and how to resolve it. 800-945-9120

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 13, 2014 Aug 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

This is certainly not expected.. But this doesn't look like an FLV that Adobe Connect would make.. Even your toolbar at the bottom is visible at all time. Is this happening with every FLV that you create?

Can you please share a link to one of you sample recordings(without any personal content) where you are able to reproduce this? I would like to make an FLV myself to see what might be the issue..

Thanks

Sameer Puri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 14, 2014 Aug 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Sameer, you seem to have missed the main point: the fact that you see elements of my desktop in the created recording is EXACTLY THE PROBLEM.

Let me be clear: I created a meeting. That recording was just of someone else's sharing of a presentation. It happened to be a Max, so no windows desktop was recorded. THEN I tried to create an FLV from that, and THAT's when I saw that the recorded FLV (created by the "make flv" tool in Connect) had mistakenly recorded part of my own screen. THAT is what's incorrect. It had never happened before, in over 250 sessions I've had and produced recordings from, but now it happens whenever I create an FLV from a recording.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 14, 2014 Aug 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me add also that you can view the meeting recording FROM WHICH I was making the flv here: http://experts.adobeconnect.com/p6vtmdknx1n/

You can see clearly that you cannot view the desktop in that meeting recording.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 21, 2014 Aug 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Charlie,

We have tried with so many recordings on multiple machines, but not able to reproduce the issue in-house.. There must be a specific setting(resolution?) on your particular machine which is causing this. Since we dont have access to such a system it is very difficult to debug further.

Can i request you to try making offlines on other computers as well and if it doesn't reproduce there, try to find out the difference between the 2 machines.. Any help will be gold-dust for us.

Thanks in advance!

Sameer Puri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 22, 2014 Aug 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again,

There was one incident where we were able to see this ourselves.. Bug# 3810399 is logged for the same and is currently being debugged. Will let you know once i have any update regarding the same.

Thanks

Sameer Puri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 22, 2014 Aug 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello Charlie,

We have a workaround for your issue. Please turn on the 'Aero' theme on your machine.

Go to

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Personalization

[Or go to desktop, right-click, Personalize]

In the personalize screen, choose any of the ‘Aero’ themes:

aero.png

This will resolve your issue of FLV capturing extraneous things.

We agree that this should work for Non-Aero mode too and hence we will be getting the bug fixed. Till then please use Aero mode to avoid this issue.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Richa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines