Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

printing multiple documents in single pdf on double sided printer

May 29, 2013 May 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the best way to print a PDF document with a large number of documents so that the start of a successive document does not end up printing on the back page of the prior document? Each document has a cover page and could be used as a "key", but not sure how to set that "cover page" as the key which could then be used to instruct the printer to start on a new page - almost as if a new print job??

TOPICS
Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
May 31, 2013 May 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so you have single page and double page documents in one PDF file and you want the single page files to print on one sheet and the double page files to print on the front and back of the sheet? If you have Acrobat, you can insert blank pages after each single page document, or separate the file into individual documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Inserting a blank page would certainly work. But the volume I'm looking at would be labor intensive. I hoping to determine a more automated method. Splitting the file is a great option (I have Acrobat 9.0 and the split document feature is in there.) My issue with the split document feature is the options.  I can split the PDF by number of pages but my problem is the reports are all varying in page length.  The other option is to split on top level bookmarks.  I just don't know how to insert top level bookmarks in an automated way.  Is there a way that you know of?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing comes to mind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's one way, while not automated, you might find helpful to separate your file. Go to View> Navigation Panels> Pages (or Thumbnails). Select a group of pages (thumbnails) that represent one report, extract the pages and save to a new file. You can also drag and drop thumbnails into a new document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the ideas. I think I will look into some simple programming options. I was hoping Acrobat had come across something like this before and had already accounted for it. Maybe in future versions.  Thanks again for the ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2014 Jan 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to split a document at top level bookmarks?  I am having the same issue and do not want to insert blank pages in the document.  I have multiple PDF documents merged into a single PDF with bookmarks and hyperlinks and I want users to be able to print a proper copy (single sides singled and double sides doubled) without having to go section by section.  If there is a way to use the bookmark feature to accomplish this, that would be most helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think there are some add-on software things out there but when I looked into them a number of months ago it turned out not to be feasible for what I was trying to do. Hope you find something useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

contra120, would you happen to recall if those add-ons were offered by Adobe?  It may be worth it for our organization to invest in additional software for a reduction in man-hours for printing.

If you do not recall, no biggie.  I may be able to sweet talk IT into a little legwork to find something that fits the bill.

Appreciate the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't keep the notes. I did some web searches. For what it is worth...if I remember right, one of the intriguing ones I found was developed by a company based out of Germany - again don't remember the name but it might help your IT guys in searching. (I'm in the US) Hope it works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the info.  I will keep searching and hoping to find a solution soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2014 Jan 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://www.a-pdf.com/?product-mg

is a program which you can select a bunch of pdf files and combine them into one pdf.  In the options pane , you can tell it to automatically add a blank page at the end of each odd numbered pdf file.   You can simply then print the new combined pdf double sided on your copier, and it would print correct.

If you want to still have the pdf as separate pdfs, in Options you can select " bookmark by file name" before combining. 

After combining, view the new pdf in Acrobat and  you can 'split pdfs by top level bookmarks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2014 Feb 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was hoping someone has found a way to resolve this issue. I now am faced with the same dilemna. I have a 200+ page at the smallest that needs to be printed in both single and double sided in different sections and they are using Adobe for this. I am even up for a software idea if anyone has found anything remotely close to fulfilling these needs. Thanks Everyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2014 Aug 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. We have a PDF with top-level bookmarks and need Acrobat to send each bookmark individually. Sure, we could extract the bookmarks and print them one by one but that is not the most productive way to get it done. I have noticed that if you are viewing the list of bookmarks in Acrobat you can right click on any bookmark and tell it to print and it will. However if you select multiple bookmarks and right click and tell it to print, it only prints the bookmark that you right clicked on instead of each individual bookmark like it should.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2017 Dec 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. did anyone found a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 23, 2017 Dec 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Additionally : Automatic batch printing PDF files on different printers. Compose pages.

https://www.kdmsoft.net/reverspdf.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2019 Mar 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its 2019 and I have the same issue.  I saw somewhere that you can use javascript -- has anyone tried that option? I am not too versed with javascript.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 20, 2019 Mar 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ask that question in  the JavaScript​ forum.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines