• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Evented I/O for V8 JavaScript, is it safe?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2013 Nov 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After opening Photoshop CC (14.1.2) I receive a Window Security Alert stated that Windows Firewall has blocked some feature of this app. The details are as follows: Windows Firewall has blocked some of the features of Evented I/O for V8 Javascript on all public and private networks. The publisher is Joyent, Inc. and the path is C:/program files/adobe/adobe photoshop cc (64 bit)/photoshop-node.exe. My question, is it safe to allow Evented I/O for V8 to communicate on private and/or public networds?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 23, 2015 Nov 23, 2015

OK, I will try to explain easily the workaround proposed by annexa89826053

1. Go to here and download process explorer: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processexplorer.aspx

2. You will get a .zip file that you need to extract to a normal windows folder -> Right click extract

3. Run the file procexp.exe

4. Accept the  license terms

5. Once the Process Explorer is running you can select from the list a process called: node.exe (green icon)

6. right click node.exe and select Suspend

DONE

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think a better question may be is what is executing in Photoshop that is trying to use JavaScript to communicate out onto the web. What have you added to Photoshop startup. Then I don't have CC it may be its something Adobe or someone hacked into Photoshop. Why should Photoshop even be using the Internet other then checking for updates. And Adobe does not use JavaScript to do that it uses Adobe Application Manager to check for updates. As far as I know Photoshop does not even use V8 Javasvript it uses Adobe own javascript code. What is V8 JavaScript on my system I see the version that I have installed is from oracle... doing a google search I see Google...

Verified Java Version

Completion checkmark

Congratulations!

You have the recommended Java installed (Version 7 Update 45).

V8 JavaScript Engine

V8 is Google's open source JavaScript engine.

V8 is written in C++ and is used in Google Chrome, the open source browser from Google.

V8 implements ECMAScript as specified in ECMA-262, 5th edition, and runs on Windows (XP or newer), Mac OS X (10.5 or newer), and Linux systems that use IA-32, x64, or ARM processors.

So do you have some Photoshop Extention that is using a google chrome web browser installed.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not install any photoshop extensions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have installed Photoshop CC trial but not started it yet some day soon I will get around to it. However no one else has written they get a message like that starting Photoshop CC. Dis  a wuick google search.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2013 Nov 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got the same message that my firewall blocked the exact same process. It was doing this when I was downloading Dreamweaver from the CC control panel and also had Photoshop open. A message popped up concurrently telling me to quit out of Photoshop in order to complete the installation of Dreamweaver. Since I'm at work and can't be bothered with all that I cancelled the message and blocked CC from tunneling through my firewall. The CC control panel crashed and i lol'd and kept working in Photoshop. Go with your gut. Who knows what Adobe's trying to do, proboly a monitoring tool to deliver info to some sort of service NOC? anti piracy? Some simple little work around to get all the applications working or updated or downloaded properly? But at any rate they must be trippin if they think they can tunnel a Java exe through our firewalls with no explanation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 08, 2013 Nov 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NIK plugins collection is from Google, do you have NIK installed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2014 Jan 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just the same. I worked now for one month with CC and today I get a warning from Windows Firewall.

photoshop-node.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2014 Feb 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same windows firewall notice today. I assume this is OK, since I haven't added anything to my Photoshop install. But it would be nice to get some feedback from Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2014 Mar 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got the same error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2014 Mar 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got this as well. The only thing I have done recently is to let Adobe CC update.  It would be great if someone from Adobe addressed this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2014 Apr 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same message, I looked up joynet and it said they run large enerprize cloud service but are shutting down march 14, 2014. If it is nessesary for CC then won't that affect cc? I wish Adobe would address this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2014 May 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Photoshop CC for a many months now on Windows 8 original. I upgraded to windows 8.1 today and when i opened photoshop again i got this message that everyone is talking about. The one in Ton Seeman's screenshot. I upgraded to windows 8.1 because everything is running sluggish. Though it could help. I wonder what this is. Adobe can you shed some light on this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2014 Jul 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No answer from Adobe on this?? I just got this for the first time today after an update and would like to know what it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2014 Aug 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got this prompt also. I think we have waited long enough for an answer as the first post went up in November 2013.

Not gonna allow access until I see something sensible.

Firewall Prompt from Photoshop.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dewmuffins-happiness wrote:

C:/program files/adobe/adobe photoshop cc (64 bit)/photoshop-node.exe

FYI, that file only shows up in Photoshop CC 14.x.  Its name has been changed to Node.exe in Photoshop CC 2014.

It is signed by Joyent, Inc.

Joyent.png

I'm not sure, but it's possible it's part of the software Adobe uses to gather telemetry on Photoshop usage.  In Photoshop CC 14.x there was an option in the Help menu for opting out of participation in such programs.

ProductImprovementBlanked.png

Interestingly I don't see that option in Photoshop CC 2014.

From Joyent.com:

"Joyent is the high-performance cloud infrastructure company, offering the only solution specifically built to power real-time web and mobile applications."

and

"Joyent is the high-performance cloud infrastructure and big data analytics company, offering organizations of any size the best public and hybrid cloud infrastructure for today's demanding real-time web and mobile applications.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys, I sent a report ticket to adobe and they were useless. I don't think it's harmfull, I allowed access and Nothing went wrong. I had AVG do a scan and they find everything, but they found nothing. I think it uses the java thing to acces the help index, "Sign In/Out stuff", and probably that Program that Noel is talking about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 16, 2016 Feb 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi

opting out of participation in such programs.

is there a way to disable it ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

High-performance Cloud Computing - Home - Joyent

They seem in partnership with adobe. My guess is it's just reporting anom data via NodeJS back to Joyent. If you block it it shouldn't won't stop Photoshop from working, it'll just stop Photoshop from emitting information to Joyent servers if you care about such things. There should be something in the terms and conditions if your willing to dig it up as its a legal requirement in the US/Europe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 21, 2014 Aug 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had Photoshop CC 2014 installed for a while and never encountered the "Evented I/O for V8 Javascript" Firewall alert until just now after installing Edge Reflow CC (Preview).

Edge Reflow CC installs a Photoshop plug-in that uses Node.js for the direct Reflow-Photoshop connection:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2014\Plug-ins\Generator\reflow.generate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2014 Sep 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, I also just installed reflow...thanks...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2014 Sep 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not 100% sure but it may also be linked to the service that pushes files from the mobile apps to PS and IL. I've just been using Adobe Sketch on the ipad used the 'send to Photoshop' function and got this firewall message on my pc as it automatically starts PS and brings in the file.

should be harmless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2014 Sep 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kaspersky detected the file  with  "Stack Overflow Denial of Service Vulnerability". So I went to http://nodejs.org/download/ and downloaded the last version ( the .exe one), and replaced my old file node.exe with it.

Don't forget to keep a copy of the old one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 28, 2014 Sep 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generally speaking it's a bad idea to change files in the Adobe installation area.  Future updates may be thwarted by the installer not finding exactly the files it expects to update.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2014 Oct 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fact of the matter is why has there not been a solid answer to this question?

What is this program and what does it do? Why is it on our computer?

I take it that Adobe is not willing to tell us what a suspicious looking program is doing on our computers?

This just reflects the current IT industry of companies using their resources to exploit consumers without their knowledge.

In such a cliché event, I see this turning out to be one of those situations if is, where the details about what this program does is buried in some long list of terms and conditions or other documents which of course 95% of the world population do not read. A kind of business strategy to do things that we are likely to be unaware of. Foul play I say but what does Adobe care. 

Maybe we are a percentage of the population that do not just say yes even to well known companies but are curious enough to search and find out what they are doing.

We are a dangerous percentage of the population that are the future monopoly holders of the IT industry because we get pushed to the edge over little things.

Yes yes I know, long story but a question asked a year ago on the adobe website with no response from them just goes a long way beyond disbelief and confirmation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2015 Jan 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Node.exe is used by Adobe Generator (Introducing Adobe Generator for Photoshop CC | PHOTOSHOP.COM BLOG).

You can turn it off in Preferences > Plugins > Untick 'Enable Generator' and it will no longer appear in your task list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines