• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Error has been encountered" - no explanation

Explorer ,
Aug 07, 2014 Aug 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am building a Windows 7 image that must pass PCI compliance. The image given to me has Adobe Flash Player version 13.0.0.182 already installed.  The PCI compliance report says I need to upgrade to Flash Player 13.0.0.206 and gives me a link to download an update - http://aihdownload.adobe.com/bin/live/install_flashplayer13x32_mssd_aaa_aih.exe.  I have downloaded this file and when I tried to run it. I get "Error has been encountered.  Close this window and try downloading again."  No further explanation of the error.  I have tried many times, same error every time.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on here?  Also, I'm going to need Powershell to silently install this with NO user interface whatsoever - must be a true "SILENT" install, but even when using the -install prefix as recommend, a GUI/window interface pops up.  Does anyone have any suggestions for a TRUE Silent install?

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 07, 2014 Aug 07, 2014

Hi BigRed,

Thanks for the additional information.  It's very helpful.  In your case, since you're org is already licensed, you can download the latest Extended Support Release from Adobe Flash Player Distribution | Adobe.  The Extended Support Release offline installers are listed below the current release installers.  For Windows, we provide EXE, MSI, and SCUP/CUPT catalogs.  For OS X, we provide both .app and .pkg installers. The Administrator's Guide I linked to previously has information for

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi BigRed,

Seems you have created multiple threads for the same issue.  Please don't.  It creates confusion when responding.

The online installer you are downloading from get.adobe.com/flashplayer is a shim installer that then downloads and installs Flash Player silently.  It is not meant to be used in the manner you are attempting to use it in, and the silent install command you are using is not for the online installer.  It is for the offline installer.

Are you distributing Flash Player within your organization?  If so, you'll need to license (it's free) the Flash Player to do so (if you haven't done so already), by applying here, Adobe Flash Player Distribution | Adobe.  If you need to remain on the Flash Player 13 Extended Support Release (ESR), the files are available from the Adobe Flash Player Distribution | Adobe page.  Please note that if you configure the system for automatic updates, it will download/install the latest version (currently 14), not the Extended Support Release version.  To remain on the Extended Support Release it is recommended to host the Background Updates locally.  Chapter 3 of the Flash Player Administrator's Guide (http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplayer/articles/flash_player_admin_guide.html) outlines various methods of distributing Flash Player within your organization, including Background Updates.

Oh, and Flash Player 13.0.0.206 is a few months old.  The current Extended Support Release version is 13.0.0.231.  If you need to install 13.0.0.206 it is available at the Archived Flash Player versions page.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess a little bit more explanation is needed.  These PCs will be inside many of our store locations around the country.  They will be VERY locked down and users will only be able to navigate to certain websites, so it cannot be set for automatic updates.  I will have to manually update these systems periodically via batch script as patches and updates come in.  This is a Fortune 500 company, so yes, we do have the license for Adobe.  These systems are coming to me from a different dept that does NOT have to worry about PCI, so their dept can set Adobe to update on its own, whereas I will not have that luxury.  The "shim" installer you refer to does NOT install silently as I've tried just simply running it from a command prompt and it immediately pops up that error window, then tries to connect to the Adobe website, which is ANOTHER thing I cannot have happening.

So, is there an installer I can use that will upgrade Flash Player to version 13.0.0.206 or higher with a TRUE silent install - one that if I were simply to put the installer at the root directory and call it from a command prompt would work AND without connecting to the Adobe website?

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi BigRed,

Thanks for the additional information.  It's very helpful.  In your case, since you're org is already licensed, you can download the latest Extended Support Release from Adobe Flash Player Distribution | Adobe.  The Extended Support Release offline installers are listed below the current release installers.  For Windows, we provide EXE, MSI, and SCUP/CUPT catalogs.  For OS X, we provide both .app and .pkg installers. The Administrator's Guide I linked to previously has information for performing the silent install as well as other distribution methods.

The FAQ Is there a way to be automatically notified when a new Flash Runtime release is made? has information on subscribing for release notifications.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 08, 2014 Aug 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you - that worked for my Install, even in Powershell, and upgraded to what I needed.

I know this probably needs a separate thread, but now I need the same type of executable for Adobe Reader!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 08, 2014 Aug 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can download the offline installer for Adobe Reader from http://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/

Or do you need an MSI installer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 12, 2014 Aug 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you - that link works, but what I assumed to be the "silent" switch for that ( -install ) does not work.  Is there a different silent switch for AdbeRdr11008_en_US.exe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Reader is owned by a different team.  Please post your Reader question on the Reader forums, Adobe Reader.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Never mind - I finally found that the "/sALL" switch does exactly what I want it to!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've already run into the issue of last week's Flash Player install being replaced by a newer version (14).  The silent install is working, but I'm curious - by doing a Silent install, is it automatically set to look for the latest updates?

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines