• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does RoboHelp/Adobe support any type of HTML doc access authorization?

Participant ,
Aug 13, 2014 Aug 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Do any of you know if RoboHelp 11 supports any type of access rights to published HTML docs?

My company has a basic product that all customers have access to. We also have "premium" products that are available to customers who pay for them, and at the moment we prefer not to expose the premium products' docs to customers who haven't purchased those products. What I'd like to be able to do is have some way that a customer can log in to access the basic HTML docs and, based on their login rights, have links to the premium docs be made visible and link to the HTML docs for those products.

Note that for now, I'm OK with maintaining separate RH  projects for the basic doc set, and one for each premium doc set. (Each would have their own search domain.)

Thanks in advance!

-Kurt Euler

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don’t think so – you’d have to stash your premium docs in a location where users would log in to access them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a thought here.

I'm guessing that customers have no ability to actually perform the actions that might be outlined in the docs, no? Sometimes having the docs available can serve as a sales tool. By seeing what is possible if "module x" is purchased, they might just upgrade.

Might save headaches for you in trying to figure out how to secure things.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick- Yes,we thought about the Sales angle, but the execs prefer that premium docs not be accessible to non-buyers.

Thx.

Kurt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 14, 2014 Aug 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't RoboHelp server (http://www.adobe.com/products/robohelpserver.html) provide something like this? I don't use it myself, but perhaps John or Colum can confirm.

Kind regards,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's right Willam. RoboHelp Server, which requires a seperate licence, can be used to provide users with a logon and password that must be used to access content. You may want to check out the RoboHelp Server Reviewers Guide for further details.

http://www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/products/robohelpserver/pdf/AdobeRoboHelpServer9_Reviewers...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the RH server tip. You mean it serves as a Web server also (which serves password-protected content to var. audiences?

-Kurt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is correct. You publish the output to the server which also acts as a web server. It requires you to output either WebHelp Pro or FlashHelp Pro. Once on the server the Administrator can control exactly who has access to the content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK, I'll check this out for sure! Thx.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp