• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Malicious Softward in Adobe Flash Player Download??

New Here ,
Aug 15, 2014 Aug 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my PC I have Windows 7 and browse with the latest version of Firefox. Just about an hour ago I came to the Adobe website to reinstall Flash player because it continually crashes when I'm online. I've reinstalled it numerous times but today was different. Along with the Flash player I received a long list of bugs and malware, including a horror story called Astromenda, or something similar. Thanks to Malware Bytes I was able to remove 47 suspicious programs and eventually got control of my computer again. I am still in shock that a website maintained by Adobe could have such infections in its downloads. I am very reluctant to use anything else from this site and wish Flash worked properly in Firefox so that I wouldn't have to reinstall it every couple of months. Very disappointed in Adobe right now.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post the link from where you downloaded that infected installer?

The official Flash Player download link is http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Offline installers (without bundled 3rd-party software) can be downloaded from

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2014 Aug 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link I used is www.adobe.com and I followed the trail of breadcrumbs until I got to the Flash player installation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe installers are not infected. Astromenda is a browser hijacker you allowed to install (bundled with optional installs that come preselected by default - such as a toolbar) yourself by not deselecting it during the download or installation process.

Additional to MBAM, you may wish to use additional removal tools, such as AdwCleaner, to scan the computer for additional adware that may have been installed. This 'Remove Astromenda.com virus (Easy Removal Guide)' by courtesy of Malwaretips.com may be of assistance.

Then, uninstall FP and reinstall the latest and current version (14.0.0.179 for Firefox - today) using a fresh-new installer / download.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded the software from the Adobe website (www.adobe.com). Sorry, but it was infected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are two downloads for Windows at http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/

1. for Internet Explorer: install_flashplayer14x32ax_mssd_aaa_aih.exe (1,033 KB)
  2. for other browsers: install_flashplayer14x32_mssd_aaa_aih.exe (1,033 KB)

I checked them with various malware scanners, and they are not infected with anything, nor do they download any malware during the install process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 17, 2014 Aug 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Grumpt and Pat, me too.

Here is the URL that I was just directed to, which tried to include the astromenda install on my windows 7 pro w/ FireFox session with the new flash download.  I am doing a new system setup and was just trying to add the Flash Player. (correction: I was updating Flash Player 14). I was sent to here:

http://www.download-update.org/pd/20/21/

I read and stopped / declined astromenda in-time, I think, hope.

Did I go through the wrong link? perhaps I hit an ad listed at the top of my google search "flash media player download?"

And now, when I go to

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

The webpage list error 413

"Header Length too Large"

What is going on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just responded to the "Update available - click here to install" on my desktop.  After the install Norton informs me that it found TROJAN.ADH.2 in adobeflashplayerpluginupdatesetup.exe and quarantined it.  I also am at a loss - not very knowledgeable about these things.  But a Trojan doesn't sound good!  Norton also tells me that adobereaderupdatesetup.exe has "Suspicious.Cloud.9" - whatever the heck THAT means.

Now my Norton tells me it has found this same Trojan.ADH.2 in  firefoxupdatesetup.exe AND microsoftsilverlightupdatesetup.exe.  And the only place I seem to be able to appeal for help is to fellow users like yourself.  I've never used these community postings before and am so lost.  And I just don't have the time to sit around and wait for someone to pass by, take and interest in my plight and care enough to reply.  Not that I would understand the reply & know what to do with it if it did come.

Good luck to you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

SabrinaCatlin wrote:

I just responded to the "Update available - click here to install" on my desktop.

Your computer is infected with malware!  See the replies to your post in the Adobe Reader forum https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1549830

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines