Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp permissions

New Here ,
Jul 26, 2007 Jul 26, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

Our company has a very strict policy in terms of employees' permissions on their workstations. Unfortunatelly it appears users needs local admin rights not only to install but to run RoboHelp 6.0.

I contacted the Adobe support and here is what they told me

"I understand that your company strict when it comes to giving out admin
privileges to users, but RoboHelp was meant to be operated under an
admin account since
RoboHelp needs access to the Windows System folder <(>&<)> Registry in
order to function properly. It needs those privileges to register
components, generate code <(>&<)>
access permissions required to make your help project.

If you would really like to run RoboHelp on a restricted user account,
you can start of installing RoboHelp on user that has temporary admin
privileges <(>&<)> remove each
privilege one by one until get to a point wherein you can run RoboHelp
with the least possible permissions. Or you can ask other RoboHelp user
in our online
forums for some tips on how set up a restricted user account."

I did try different things like giving users full access to the registry, root folder, windows directory but to no avail. A user can run the application only if he belongs to the Administrator group.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Slavica

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 26, 2007 Jul 26, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forum.

My understanding has always been that LOCAL admin rights only are required and then only to install. However I have seen posts where people claim they can only run RoboHelp with those rights still in place.

I am making some enquiries and will post back what I find. If anyone else can comment, please join in.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 27, 2007 Jul 27, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the best I can offer.

Having installed RH with local admin rights, have the user open both RH HTML and RH for Word.

Having done that, remove the local admin rights and see if it then works OK.

Please post the results back, either way so that we can learn some more.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry. I should have said close RH before removing those rights. Also get the user to reboot just to be sure.

Also can I check you are installing with the user's logon and not one of your admin logons?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe you're right, Peter: it's that initial opening of RH that must be performed with admin rights still in force.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response. Unfortunatelly, it didn't help.
I did as you suggested
1. Granted a user Local Admin Rights
2. Logged in as that user and installed the RoboHelp
3. Ran RoboHelp HTML/Word
4. Removed user from the Local Admin group
5. Restarted the machine

When I started the RoboHelp HTML I got the warning message :
Unable to register hhctrl.ocx, itircl.dll,itss.dll.........
If you experience any adverse behavior, please make sure you have sufficient rights and restart the program.

You may need to have an administrator run this program once to configure some components.

So it looks like RoboHelp is trying to register OCX controls / DLLs whenever the application starts which is very strange.

I am not sure if this problem can just be ignored or it would affect projects in anyway.

Thanks,
Slavica

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I knew that was true of RH for Word in older versions at least but hadn't realised it applied to RH HTML.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think you can ignore it.

Suggest you reinstate the rights. Allow the user to run RoboHelp for a day so that various functions are used. Make sure they generate the various outputs.

As you can see, several of us here believe what I am suggesting should work and the suggestion came from a knowledgeable source within Adobe.

I wonder if in all this, things have got a bit screwed up? See the topic on my site about installing RH and try the full uninstall, then start over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did uninstall / install RoboHelp and run the application with admin privileges. I was able to open / generatre / publish the project with no problems. However, as soon as I remove local admin privileges the warning message pops up.

Thank you for your time.
Slavica

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The project you are working on is on the local drive I assume. Otherwise, I'm sorry but then I am stumped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Yes, the project is on my local drive.

Thanks,
Slavica

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp