• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Subtract Front Shape after drawing the shapes?

Explorer ,
Sep 25, 2012 Sep 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

i can't figure out how to subtract the front shape from two already drawn shapes. I can draw a shape, choose "Subtract Front Shape" from the menu and then draw the second shape. But what if the two shapes are already there and i wanna subtract the front shape from the other. Please don't tell me, thats it's not possible ...

Mario

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You definitely can - as long as the 2 other shapes are still as a shape and that you haven't flattened/ rasterized them.

Draw your new shape above both the existing shapes. Select the Shape tool - (U key). Choose 'Subtract Front Shape', then draw your 3rd shape.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply!

When i choose 'Subtract Front Shape' before drawing the next shape it's working. But what, when the shapes are already there? I draw a circle and after that i draw another circle. And then i wanna subtract one from the other or intersect. How can i do that?

Mario

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pathfinder in Illustrator can do exactly what you're looking at. In Photoshop, the only available way I'd see is a Vector Mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fireworks (and any other simple drawing application) is also able to do that. Why not Photoshop? It's the same like rounded rectangles. There's no possibility to change the radius (or to subtract shapes in this case) after drawing. Every time i try to use Photoshop as a replacement for Fireworks in webdesign i discover a new problem like this. Very disappointing.

Mario

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you want vector shapes to interact, they must be inside one Shape Layer. Target multiple Shape Layers then press Cmd/Ctrl+E to merge into one Shape Layer whose components can have their combining mode changed by the Path Select Tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks conroy! Thats what i was searching for!

Mario

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2014 Aug 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Controy!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe it would help us if you said which version of photoshop and are you talking about shapes on the same shape layer or separate shape layers?

And operating system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2019 Apr 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a similar issue I think, which stumped me for hours until I solved it. I selected around a complicated object that had spaces within it I did not want, first with normal selection tools, then creating a vector mask which I was able to adjust accurately to the image. When I finished, the background around the object dropped out, but not the negative spaces within the main object, although they also were defined by vector masks. Subtract Front Shape was no help, ditto all other options in the same drop down. Seems counter-intuitive, but it was Bring Shape To Front that solved the issue. With the neglected area(s) selected (one at a time), choosing this option dropped it out. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 04, 2019 Apr 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Why are we resurrecting old posts from 2012??

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines