Exit

P: Crash/Hang when Android Device is connected

Participant ,
Aug 17, 2014 Aug 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI,

Hoping some "techy" type can help me...

I have Windows 7 Home Pro 64-bit OS and the 64-bit version of LR.  When I first installed LR it was operating as expected.  Lately (the last month or so) when I go to import from my camera (Canon via a usb cord or via the card reader) will crash and say that the program has encountered an error and needs to close.

This is SERIOUSLY impacting my life and I need to get it worked out.

I was hoping to get on with adobe support but they are closed on Sunday.

Anyone?  Thanks in advance!

Debi

Message was edited by: ibarrien - added Android device to title

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Debi, please provide more details such as Lightroom exact version e.g. Lr5.6, what type of files and where you are trying to import them to (drive)...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine just started doing the same thing. I was using Lr5.3 and when I would click on "Import" or if I would go to File, Import photos or video.... Lr instantly crashes. I just updated to 5.6 and its still doing it. I am running 8.1 and last week everything was running fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 18, 2014 Aug 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Geoff.... this is the story to date:

Installed LR 5.5 several months ago.  Started getting "adobe Lightroom 5.5 64-bit has crashed and needs to close" errors so I got with adobe and they suggested upgrading to LR 5.6. I did that and the problem actually got WORSE. Instead of it occasionally happening it was happening ALL the time.  I then got on FB group and asked the same question that I did here and was advised to dump 5.6 and reinstall 5.5, which I did. Problem still present.

I've run 2 different virus programs, Malware bytes, Scotty dog, Spybot S & D, rebooted countless times but when I go launch LR 5.5 and go to "import" I'm still getting the "adobe Lightroom 5.5 64-bit has crashed and needs to close" error.

Any/all help is appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Geoff,

I'm sorry ...I didn't answer all your questions.

I'm trying to import RAW and JPEG files.  I have both an usb cable from camera to computer as well as a card reader.  Neither way/combination work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, and adobe advised me to rename the map of lightroom in "old lightroom"which doesn't solve the problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same thing. Win7x64, Lr5.6x64.

I had to uninstall Lr5.6 and revert back to Lr5.5 is all I could do to be able to use Lr again. I'll wait for another update.

I wonder if recent Windows Updates may play a part in this because I have been using Lr5.6 for a week or two already without a hitch (but I didn't attempt to import photos) Windows updated on August 12 2014, I was out of town for a few days but have not needed to import photos in that time up until now.

Thinking back, I'm not 100% sure if Lr5.6 was even working for importing, the default program for .NEF files was set to Lightroom 64-bit, but I checked this during all this and Lr3.6 was the version that was trying to import. I tried to switch it to Lr5.6 but it didn't work, nor uninstalling Lr3.6 then trying to import again, nor the repair/reinstall of Lr5.6.

I've used it since I updated, probably a week or more. I still had Lr 3.6 because it was the version I used some older photos with, so far wasn't a problem, Adobe said when I installed Lr v5 that I could leave v3.6 on. (I can re-install it later).

I tried to repair Lr5.6; uninstalled Lr3.6 then tried to repair Lr5.6; uninstalled and re-installed Lr5.6. Nothing worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found from another post Re: Crash everytime I click import button in Lightroom 4 64 bit that their Samsung Galaxy phone was causing the problem.

I re-installed Lr5.6 and took some quick shots, made sure my phone wasn't plugged in and imported, worked fine! hopefully you'll have the same luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!  ... sort of the same thing here too. 

1) Adobe support had me rename a file...

2) had me unplug my phone.

Thanks!  back up and running...just have to remember not to plug my phone in or have it plugged in when trying to import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 03, 2014 Dec 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue has been happening since 2012 and Lightroom 4 ... never been fixed.

Add your voice here: Lightroom: LR 4 import crashes when a Android Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 is connected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2014 Oct 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to echo the same comment and share a lesson learned.  I'm running Windows 7.x and Lightroom 5.6.  I took some neat sunset photos and wanted to add them to my catalogue.

LR would crash immediately upon selecting "Import Photos and Video...".  Reboot yielded no positive results.  LR update button revealed I already had the current version.  My files were optimized.

Once I unplugged my Galaxy 5S, the import feature began to work as advertised.  Just to test the observation, I re-connected  my Galaxy 5S again and found Lightroom 5.6 would crash immediately upon selecting the Import Photos and Video menu.

I hope this helps the rest of the community. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2014 Nov 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same happens to me on an iMac (running Yosemite) when I connect my Canon 10D via USB and try to import files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2014 Dec 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem when my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 was plugged in! Thanks for the tip!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2015 May 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this was my problem. had a Samsung phone plugged into my laptop.  thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2015 Sep 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, so glad I found this thread (though I don't think the problem would have persisted anyway, but it's always nice to know why.) I randomly had my phone charging via USB which I rarely do and LR6 crashed repeatedly on import. Unplugged the phone, problem solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 30, 2015 Oct 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't have to go through that step really. Plug your smartphone into your laptop (Before running LR) and go to your phone (on Samsungs) pull down the status window and see the connection type. Change the USB Computer Connection type to Media Device (MTP) or Camera (PTP).

This will allow you to leave your phone plugged into the laptop and run LR and select the import or export and no crash.

The problem is LR does a scan of devices to list in the import list and it has a problem reconciling the connection type of the smartphone if it is not "media" sensitive.  Making the USB connection MTP or PTP will allow LR to recognize the USB Connection as an external hard drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2015 Oct 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solved my problem as well. I did not have to re-install lightroom, but just disconnected my Samsung phone before I clicked on "Import"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2017 Jun 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My issue was also caused by my Fire Kindle being connected via USB cable to the computer. Was using 64bit Lightroom version: CC 2015.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 22, 2014 Aug 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing here.

Windows 8, Galaxy Samsung 3 plugged in, hit import button with LR 5.6 and it crashes.

Not sure whether this should be solved by Adobe or Galaxy.

Either way I hope it will get resolved as it is a pain in the....

Anyway pixleated thanks for finding the solution....saves me a weekend of trying to figure out what was wrong!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2014 Aug 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think it's a specific brand issue, as different phones cause the same thing, I think the link I referenced mentioned a Motorola Droid causing it too.

I've set my phone to (MPT) "transfer media files or Media Transfer Protocol" I don't use my phone as a picture source usually, but had it set to transfer music.

Maybe (PTP) "to transfer pictures, Picture Transfer Protocol" setting might be okay and not cause it. So...

I switched it back to PTP which was the original setting, and plugged it into the USB port. I then transferred new photos as usual from my SD card from the camera into the PC card reader slot, and experienced no issues/crash as before.

So from what I just did, the MPT setting on the phone was causing it. So I guess our phones ARE causing it, but why should that be, curious. Good to know now.

Could be knee jerk compliance to DRM 'Digital Rights Management' backlash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2014 Nov 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem. Lastest version of LR crashing on import. Windows 7 64 bit. PROBLEM was caused by my Samsung Note 4 being plugged in to the computer. When unplugged the problem stopped. I have also had the problem with other Samsung phones and tablet. Hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2015 Jul 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just downloaded brand new LR 6 today. working fine except crashing when I hit import button. Yep, it was my phone. So as of 7/25/15, Adobe hasn't fixed this yet. Since I didn't have this problem before downloading LR 6, I believe it's an Adobe problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2015 Aug 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. This is REALLY annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2015 Oct 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everyone is "solving" the problem by disconnecting their phone.  Unfortunately, I use LR to import iPhone pics.:

1. Connect iPhone via USB
  2. Open Lightroom, latest version
  3. Import Photos - from the iPhone into my ~Mobile 2015 directory
  4. cRASH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 30, 2015 Oct 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone answered this issue earlier in the thread.  It doesn't matter which phone you connect to your laptop, it is because Lightroom does a scan of all devices where pictures would be found.  It encounters the problem when it cannot properly identify a smartphone as a "hard drive".

I don't know how you do it on the iPhone, however you have to set your iPhone to connect as a media device MTP or picture device PTP.

Then LR will add the drive letter to the search list when you want to do an import or export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines