Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Insert list of blog posts assigned to specific category

Contributor ,
Aug 18, 2014 Aug 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've assigned a number of blog posts to a specific category. I wondered if anyone could tell me if it's possible to output those blog posts according to the category they were assigned to? If yes, can you let me know what the module tag would look like?

Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
Newbie Corner

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2014 Aug 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In theory, categories are a natural and wonderful way to display information. In practice, however, I completely avoid BC's implementation of categories. It is almost worthless. It has limited output capabilities, and no sorting capabilities.

As if that wasn't enough, the Blog module doesn't have the ability to list all by category. It's somehow missing that feature. While there are workarounds for this, most aren't worth the time. Here are the couple that I recommend:

1. If your blog is new, without a bunch of previous posts, you could use Web Apps instead of the Blog module.
  2. You could create multiple blogs, one for each category, and then list those blogs out on the page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 19, 2014 Aug 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this information. Unfortunately I don't have the option to use WebApps due to the plan they're on so I guess I'm going to have to create multiple blogs for the categories.

Thanks again for your suggestions - appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 19, 2014 Aug 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry to come back to this but could I ask another brief question. I've used a javascript solution to implement a paging function for blog posts that are being output onto a page. I know that in the past javascript has mostly been used as a workaround to overcome BC's serverside coding limitations but with the introduction of liquid markup, I wondered whether it's possible to use it to create a paging system instead of using JS. If possible, do you know where I could get some further information on the subject?

Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines