• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash player stopped working in Win8.1, IE11. Also, listed publisher is "not available"

New Here ,
Aug 19, 2014 Aug 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't get any videos to play on FaceBook or any other site. It tells me to install Flash player, but It's already installed and it has worked fine before. I've gone into "manage add-ons" and it is enabled. Also, ActiveX filtering is not enabled. Those were the only 2 troubleshooting steps I could find. I can't seem to uninstall the player, and when I try to re-install it I'm told it's already part of Windows 8.1.

Under "manage add-ons" I copied some information:

Name:               Shockwave Flash Object
Publisher:          Not Available
Type:               ActiveX Control
Architecture:       32-bit and 64-bit
Version:            Not available
File date:          ‎Friday, ‎August ‎1, ‎2014, ‏‎8:17 PM
Date last accessed: ‎Today, ‎August ‎19, ‎2014, ‏‎2 minutes ago
Class ID:           {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000}
Use count:          83202
Block count:        57
File:               Flash.ocx
Folder:             C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash

I think it's a little suspect that the Publisher and Version are "Not available". Can anyone tell me how I can get this un-installed then re-installed?

Thanks!

-Eric

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flash Player on Windows 8+ for Internet Explorer is a built-in component of Internet Explorer.  There is nothing to uninstall or re-install.  The issues you're experiencing are probably the result of changes in Internet Explorer 11.  You can try putting affected websites into Compatibility Mode - Fix site display problems with Compatibility View - Windows Help or as a workaround, use an alternate browser like Google Chrome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply Jeromie. I've already tried compatibility Mode to no avail. As for using Chrome, I'd love to! Unfortunately, Chrome is somehow allergic to something else I'm running. I've had several Windows 8 and 8.1 computers, and all of them eventually had problems running Chrome. It runs, but very poorly on many sites. So, much to my disappointment, I'm stuck using IE =(

Now if I could just fix this new flash problem in IE I'd be set! Maybe I can uninstall IE 11 and re-install? Do you think that would re-set flash player?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flash Player on Windows 8+ for Internet Explorer is a built-in component of Internet Explorer.  There is nothing to uninstall or re-install.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi MtnManiacX

The publisher should not be listed as 'Not Available', it should look similar to the following, listing the publisher and version:

Win8_IE_Manage_Add-Ons.jpg

You said in your first post "but It's already installed and it has worked fine before".  Did you install any Internet Explorer updates recently, and if so, what is the KB number for them?  You can view installed updates in the Control Panel > Windows Update > View update history and look for the Internet Explorer updates. If there are recent updates installed, you may want to uninstall the update and try re-installing again.  As Jeromie says, Microsoft updates Flash Player in Internet Explorer on Windows 8.x and above.  This could be a failed update install, or something else.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines