Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Odd characters showing in capture

Engaged ,
Aug 19, 2014 Aug 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captivate 8 Mac.

After a basic recording I've noticed the highlight boxes include a string of lovely dingbats. The same characters show regardless of the color of highlight box used. I have no idea how to get rid of this. The characters behave like text in that if the highlight box is narrowed considerably the characters don't show. I didn't think to check the XML files for the highlights to see if they include some odd tag.

say what.png

TOPICS
Recording

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Addendum to my post: I trashed preferences, and the characters are still there!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, Highlight Boxes aren't capable of containing characters, so whatever the characters are, are stemming from something else.

On second thought, it would seem the "Highlight Box" object typically has the term "Highlight Box". And that would seem to certainly correspond to the number of characters you are seeing. It's as if Captivate is presenting the word using Wingdings font or something.

Does the same thing occur for other objects, such as Click Box?

Have you reported this to Adobe as a bug?

http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just noticed you said you were using a Mac.

I know in Windows, we have a place to go and configure fonts for our operating system. I did a quick Google search and found the video linked below. Maybe it will help?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much for the link, but that isn't it. If I had an odd wingdings setting for something, it should show up elsewhere. I've only ever seen it in Captivate 8. I also had Captivate 7 on Mac, without any sort of issue. Dropping in translucent rectangles is a pretty simple workaround, although it would be nice to figure this odd behavior out. It is consistent, showing up in the Highlight box as well as in lieu of the pixel sizes when I set a canvas size between one of the basic three settings in a responsive design.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL, the good news here is that it should only be affecting things in the editor. My guess is that even though things look wonky in the editor, they look just fine in the output.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Dang. I never thought of that. I'll see what happens when I export. Thanks for the idea!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources