• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Adobe Flash Player 14.0 r0 has stopped working" and "Unresponsive Plug-in: Shockwave flash" Errors

Aug 10, 2014 Aug 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, am running Flash in Firefox on Windows.  All the current versions are installed.  I keep getting the error messages: "Adobe Flash Player 14.0 r0 has stopped working" and "Unresponsive Plug-in: Shockwave flash may be busy or may have stopped responding." when trying to watch videos from youtube, hulu, netflix, etc.  On the Adobe test page: Adobe - Test Adobe Shockwave Player  I can see the Shockwave Flash test message, but get the following error message when trying to view the Flash Player test:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an error while processing this request:

{error,badarg}

mochiweb+webmachine web server

I've tried most of the fixes online: disabling hardware acceleration  (works for a few hours then the problem comes back), uninstalling then reinstalling adobe flash, shockwave, & silverlight (worked for a few days, now the problem is back), clean install of Firefox, changing flash permissions in Firefox to ask to activate, and all the fixes listed here: Flash Player games, video, or audio don't work | Windows.  I am still getting the error messages.  This problem was causing Firefox to crash, but Firefox is now stable- only receiving the flash error messages.

Would appreciate some help to get this error permanently resolved.

Thank-you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Apr 30, 2015 Apr 30, 2015

Yeah, AdBlock worked on Chrome.

Actually, for whatever reason, Mozilla is working just fine right now.

Phil

To: Philip Tripp <tripppe@sbcglobal.net>

Sent: Thursday, April 30, 2015 7:19 PM

Subject: "Adobe Flash Player 14.0 r0 has stopped working" and "Unresponsive Plug-in: Shockwave flash" Errors

"Adobe Flash Player 14.0 r0 has stopped working" and "Unresponsive Plug-in: Shockwave flash" Errors

created by Jeromie Clark in Using Flash Player

Votes

Translate

Translate
Aug 15, 2014 Aug 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No answers to this yet?  I can't be the only one with this problem.  Would appreciate a fix for this problem.

Thank-you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2014 Aug 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bambboop,

Sounds like the same craziness I've had going on for a few weeks. Have done almost all that you have. Had to switch to IE to function -- ugh -- but at least I could function until ActiveX quit functioning in IE.  Have scanned memory, cleaned up all of the many registry errors, some of which included IE and Firefox Flash Player and Shockwave (which I'd already uninstalled and reinstalled).  Many of them were from software removal.

Have done deep and regular scans via Norton Internet Securiy all along.  Not happy.  I notice Adobe has pushed down a number of patches recently but I haven't read up on them yet.  Hope we get some satisfaction.    ~EP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2014 Sep 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been going on constantly in FF and Chrome since v14. Tried all posted solutions on the various forums. Happened twice trying to log in to Adobe so I could post on this forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2014 Nov 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too (on Firefox) Why doesn't Adobe address this?!!!!! Hangs up my work constantly!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 18, 2014 Nov 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The test that you pointed to is for the Shockwave Player, which is different from Flash Player.  (There's a long story from the 90's about why they both have Shockwave in the name...)

Crashes and hangs have distinct root-causes, and we would need to look at these on a case-by-case basis.

In Firefox, you can do the following:

Type about:crashes

For each crash listed, click the link to submit it, then copy the resulting URL into this thread.  The first few would be helpful.

If you have steps that consistently reproduce the problem, that's also incredibly helpful.  If we can reproduce a problem, it's usually very straightforward to fix.  Unfortunately, intermittent, random problems with nebulous symptoms tend to linger unsolved.  Flash Player is in the neighborhood of 1.5 million lines of C++ code, and we subject it to a battery of tests, including manual and automated source code analysis both by Adobe engineers, outside consultants and engineers from Microsoft, Intel, nVidia, AMD, Google, etc.  It's a very heavily controlled and highly scrutinized codebase.  The problems that it solves are extremely complex, and the challenge of both providing backwards compatibility and supporting 1.2 billion installations and the array of hardware that encompasses is a tremendously difficult task.

That said, specificity is key to getting the issue you're experiencing fixed.  As a general rule, using a reasonably modern OS (Win7/MacOS 10.9 or higher) and a browser with a modern plug-in architecture (IE on Win8+, Google Chrome everywhere) is generally going to yield more stable results than older architectures like NPAPI where we're trying to balance modern needs with architecture from the '90s. 

Again, generalities don't really help solve the specific crash that you're experiencing, when using your machine, to view the content that you frequent.  The closer you can get us to reproducing a problem, by including basic information about your system and affected content, the closer we'll be to fixing it.  As a guide, here's some information that would really help when looking into problems: Read Before Posting: How To Get A Useful Answer To Your Question

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2014 Nov 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, this is just the generic "Firefox killed Flash" signature.  It doesn't tell us anything useful.

My recommendation would be to start Firefox and choose Menu > ? > Restart with Add-Ons Disabled and see if the issue goes away.  If it does, it's probably related to a third-party add on like a Flash video downloader, or maybe some security stuff. 

You can try doing a full uninstall/reinstall of Firefox to see if that fixes it, but I don't have a lot of good theories at the moment.

As a temporary workaround, you might want to just use Chrome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for the quick response!  I restarted with Add-Ons disabled, but the issue didn't go away.  I am switching to chrome for the time being.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2014 Dec 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't know if you already know this but i had the same problem on both foxfire & chrome. This is how i fixed it for foxfire,  Mozilla Firefox - How to fix Adobe Shockwave Flash version 11 (Crashing, Unresponsive, busy, stopped... there is one for chrome also. Hope it works for you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ProtectedMode is a modern defense-in-depth protection against modern malware.  While other browsers have invested heavily in bringing their plug-in architectures into the 21st century, Mozilla still uses the NPAPI, which has largely gone unchanged since the 1990s.  To provide modern security defenses to Firefox users, we retrofit a sandboxing approach to Firefox.  Mozilla envisions a future without plug-ins, and does not see improving the plug-in architecture as a priority, so this situation is unlikely to change.  In the meantime, nation-states are sponsoring and deploying malware of increasing complexity, which requires better approaches to defense.

By disabling Protected Mode, you leave yourself at significantly higher risk of contracting a malware infection.  It *does* reduce the overall amount of IPC traffic happening between Flash Player and Firefox, which is really at the heart of the generic hang signature that's described here; however, it's important to understand that you're taking on significant risk by doing that. 

Anyway, this is a terrible idea if you do anything sensitive with the machine.  You're far, far better off using Chrome, which offers superior defenses with a modern, efficient architecture.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use chrome and it crashes about every 15 mins if i am on Facebook. lol foxfire doesn't crash, on me, any more.. just prefer chrome

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 18, 2014 Dec 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, that's super weird. 

If you go to Chrome > Preferences > System and uncheck "Use hardware acceleration when available", do you see an improvement in stability there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2015 Apr 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 30, 2015 Apr 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, these are the generic crash signature that's returned when communication between Flash and Firefox has hung.

We've done some collaborative work with Mozilla to try and make this situation better, but it will be a while before those changes land in the production release.  Those changes are available in Firefox 40 (nightly.mozilla.org).  You might see if there's an improvement there.

AdBlock is available for Chrome.  Check out Chrome Extensions...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2015 Apr 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah, AdBlock worked on Chrome.

Actually, for whatever reason, Mozilla is working just fine right now.

Phil

To: Philip Tripp <tripppe@sbcglobal.net>

Sent: Thursday, April 30, 2015 7:19 PM

Subject: "Adobe Flash Player 14.0 r0 has stopped working" and "Unresponsive Plug-in: Shockwave flash" Errors

created by Jeromie Clark in Using Flash Player - View the full discussionYeah, these are the generic crash signature that's returned when communication between Flash and Firefox has hung. We've done some collaborative work with Mozilla to try and make this situation better, but it will be a while before those changes land in the production release.  Those changes are available in Firefox 40 (nightly.mozilla.org).  You might see if there's an improvement there. AdBlock is available for Chrome.  Check out Chrome Extensions... If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7500863#7500863 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7500863#7500863 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following" Start a new discussion in Using Flash Player by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines