• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Standalone Help Systems

New Here ,
Jul 25, 2007 Jul 25, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My department has concluded that we need two different types of online help systems--one within the applications, and one that stands alone. Using .chms will be helpful for the Windows community, but not for the UNIX groups, of which there are many.

Does anyone know of a way to provide a standalone system for UNIX platforms?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 30, 2007 Jul 30, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think my offline reply to you indicated FlashHelp would work on Unix. It is not a single file being more like webhelp but it will run on many platforms.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keep in mind that Adobe has very poor support for Flash in the non-Windows environments and that Flash has a proven track record of not being too secure (as in three "critical" patches last week alone). Take a look at the WebHelp format and limit the bells and whistles.

Regards,
GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our merged WebHelp is supported on Windows, Linux, and Solaris, with no issues raised yet.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear MergeThis (love the name),

Yes, WebHelp is working for us on Firefox (Linux, HP, AIX), but it cannot function as a standalone system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not? You just double click the start page or create a URL to it. Do you perhaps mean it is not a single file?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that is what I mean.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To run from a server or the user's PC? Hopefully Linux Rules can then point you to something suitable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A Linux server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, Gary's your man for Linux stuff but if it is on a server I don't understand why it has to be a single file rather than webhelp or flashhelp with a whole bunch of files. It's something the user will never know about. What do they care if it is one file or a million?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter is right. Please give us more info as to why multiple files cannot work for you.

If you place all of the WebHelp files in a separate directory and point the calls there, the app shouldn't care nor would the server.

As for standing alone, same thing. Place in a directory and launch the start page. I do it all the time on my Linux workstation at my home office (Firefox and Konquorer).

Regards,
GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A couple other leads:

Open / view .chm file under Linux or FreeBSD (client side)
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/open-chm-file-under-linuxfreebsd/

CHM viewer "xchm" (client side)
http://xchm.sourceforge.net/

Regards,
GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2007 Jul 31, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your responses. I must say, I have to find out the answers to your questions; I don't know enough about the users or the usage to say whether multiple files would be acceptable.

The initial request had to do with having a series of online help systems, which are associated with an application we've developed. The application resides on web servers worldwide. Some of the users are at smaller sites where a .chm was envisioned, let's say, as the document used on a workstation in a server room in Nigeria. The .chm would provide the information necessary to build either workstations or servers of varying types.

On Windows workstations, it was agreed that .chms would be used. When it came to UNIX workstations and servers, I understood that a .chm would not work, but thought a single versus multiple file was preferred under conditions such as (1) sending a DVD of the application with a help system; (2) putting a copy of the help system on an intranet website; and (3) viewing a help system from a Linux workstation. Ultimately, one or two of these systems might be very large.

The concept of a .chm viewer that can be downloaded (as long as Security approves it) sounds promising. I will be looking into the links Linux Rules provided.

I'm certain this does not clarify, but perhaps explains my confusion about this.

Thank you for your help and regards,

Sharon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 08, 2007 Aug 08, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. I've gotten some additional information. It seems that in some data centers, use of the internet, web servers, and workstations are not allowed, and DHCP is not available. These are the reasons for this request. Does this make more sense now?

Regards,

Sharon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 08, 2007 Aug 08, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Sharon -

One other product to consider is QuickHelp for Linux:

http://www.excelsoftware.com/quickhelplinux.html

You wrote:
"...These are the reasons for this request. Does this make more sense now?"

Reasons make sense, still wonder about the approach. Your product must be available on portable media so my question remains: what is wrong with the WebHelp (pure HTML) format?

Also, why haven't you mentioned man files or DocBook? (Just curious...)

Regards,
GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2007 Aug 17, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Well, I think I finally have gotten to the crux of the matter, and you are all absolutely correct.

According to one manager here, security issues are critical in certain data centers, which means that workstations, browsers and DHCP are not accessible.

First, I am not sure that information is entirely accurate--it is still being discussed internally. When speaking specifically with the UNIX administrators, it turns out that many use a CD to build from, but build the servers remotely through iLO, which means there is no problem with using multiple files.

I am proceeding based on this new information.

Thank you for your patience and helpful advice. I really appreciate it.

Regards,

Sharon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp