Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I cannot download Flash Player.

Aug 21, 2014 Aug 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the Flash Player auto-download page, when I click on "Download," the download bar appears at the bottom of my window for a very brief moment and disappears.  Immediately after, I see this:Flash Download Fail.png

After several seconds, this screen appears:Flash Download Fail2.png

Of course, I "Click here."Flash Download Fail3.png

This is what is offered as an answer to download issues???  You have got to be kidding me.  If I had seen anything that looked like this, I would not have had an issue!  *exasperated*

In a (probably) related note:  I have downloaded the offline package and installed it, but that was problematic.  I could not watch many videos.  As far as I could tell, I was not able to view HTML5 video (audio only), although I COULD watch non-HTML5 videos on at least some occasions. 

When I came back to your pages with that installation, your "Flash Player checker" could tell me immediately that it was installed, but the page that tells you what the latest versions are did not do its usual "You have the latest version of Flash Player installed."  An I'm pretty sure that the test picture with the clouds and tree would not run.

I have scoured ever word of every troubleshooting checklist I can find.  Flash is enabled in the browser, Active X filtering disabled.  Hardware rendering turned off (that took me forever to find a video that I could actually play in order to see that option!  lol).  Everything else the lists told me to do.  Clear cookies, cleared cache, and Flash cache.  I also made sure Adobe cookies are enabled, and turned off my antivirus and firewall during the offline installation.  Still could not view video.

Everything was working great until I uninstalled that old version of Adobe for the upgrade.   I was kind of hoping that this wasn't something uncommon, but I have been scouring this forum for about 36 hours and have yet to see a screenshot like mine, of that blue bar of non-progress, anywhere on this site.

I am just about 4 days into a full recovery and don't want to start all over again...   For what it's worth, the Shockwave, Reader, and AIR all installed apparently normally.  Same with Java x32 and x64.

Stumped in Tallahassee.
HP dv7 Pavilion, Windows7 (x64), Internet Explorer 11

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Sep 22, 2014 Sep 22, 2014

Maria,

Hey, I was finally able to resolve this issue.  I posted the answer in the "Using" forum:  Flash Player Not Working.  I will probably never know what was causing the normal download page to not work, but if it happens again, I have more knowledge now, and will probably be able to track down what I changed that fixed it.  I  did, however, solve the issue of Flash Player not working properly after installation.

Please do not take my attitude in that post personally; you are the only person wh

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 22, 2014 Aug 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brett,

I'm sorry you're having this issue installing Flash Player.  I'm not sure why you're not being given the option to save the file, as in the help screenshot.  I've forwarded this to the folks who handle the website download content for their assistance.  I'll respond when I hear from them.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Aug 22, 2014 Aug 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Maria.

The download dialog does appear, but only for about 1/4 second before it is gone, replaced by the screen above.

Brett

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 12, 2014 Sep 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maria,

I am still experiencing this problem with Flash Player.  I would appreciate some help.

Thank you,

Brett

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 12, 2014 Sep 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brett,

Sorry for not getting back to you.  The folks that handle the online installer were not able to reproduce the issue.  I recommend doing the following:

• Uninstall Flash Player, using the uninstaller posted here, Uninstall Flash Player | Windows.
    • Make sure all applications that use Flash Player are closed (browser, IM clients, etc).
  • Reboot your machine
  • Run the offline installer posted at the bottom of this page, Installation problems | Flash Player | Windows
    • Make sure all applications that use Flash Player are closed (browser, IM clients, etc) during installation.

In your first post you mentioned "As far as I could tell, I was not able to view HTML5 video (audio only), although I COULD watch non-HTML5 videos on at least some occasions."  HTML5 and Flash Player are two different things.  Flash Player will not play HTML5 videos.  Are you saying that you were able to view HTML5 videos before installing Flash Player, but then could not?

On a separate note, Microsoft has been changing the way they identify the browser in the User Agent string, which a great deal of web sites use to identify the browser and display the content for that specific browser..  We've seen the biggest impact in IE11 as Microsoft no longer identifies the browser as Internet Explorer in the User Agent string. By doing this, content may not display correctly,

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 14, 2014 Sep 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flash Player is installed.  Some video content plays, while other content does not. 

For example, I can watch the (subscription only) live baseball games on MLB.com, but the video clips and highlights on the main site will not play (both players are Flash, but they are different).  I can watch the video on TheBlaze.com (subscription only, and the player is the same, or very similar, to that used by MLB subscription service).  I can also view most video on YouTube, it seems.  I cannot, however, view video on sites like HuffingtonPost and FOXNews, among others.

Since I created this post, I have also replaced my hard drive and reinstalled Windows 7.  The problem still persists.

I first thought that the problem could have something to do with my browser settings, so I have reset Internet Options to default via the Advanced Tab.  I reset the Java settings to their default security settings.

I usually trace all of my installations with Revo Uninstaller.  Just in case this could have created a problem, I uninstalled Flash, Shockwave, AIR, and Reader and reinstalled them without the trace running.  I also wondered that it may have something to do with the order in which I installed the Adobe products, so I made sure that I installed them in the order in which they appear on your downloads page.

The only thing that I can think of to try is to make sure I am in a 64-bit tab before visiting the download page.  That, and clean my registry before installing the next attempt.  And download the full installation pack so that I can disable the virus scanner during installation.

The problem still is not resolved.  I cannot think of anything else I may have done which would affect the Flash Player installation.  The Flash Player Download page will now offer me the download like normal, but Flash Player is still not working correctly.
=====================================================================

Using the resources provided on your site, I navigated from the Home page to Learn & Support>Download and Install>Check if Flash Installed (http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player.html).  Step one result is normal:  "Congratulations, your computer has the latest Flash..." [Attachment #1]1. Installation Check.png

On the same page, step 4: Enable Flash Player (http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/install-flash-player-windows.html)...  The non-HTML5 video at the top of the page does not play.  The GUI doesn't even generate. [Attachment #2]2. No Video Player.png

Anyway, when I click the link for the HTML5 version, the YouTube page opens and builds the player GUI, but only audio come out, no video.  some other videos on YouTube do play, though.  Following the instructions on the page, I double-check to make sure that Flash Player is enabled. [Attachment #3]3. Manage Add-Ons.png

Back to the page (http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player.html), step number 5: "Verify if Flash Player is installed."  This graphic is running.  The tire swings and the clouds do their thing. [Attachment #4]4. Verify Installation.png

At the bottom of the page, I click through the link for "Installation problems for Windows 7 and older."

Step 1:  "Have you checked if Flash Player..."
    "Congratulation, your computer has the latest Flash Player installed."  This is an identical test to that shown in [Attachment #1].

Step 2:  "Are you being asked to close the Browser?"
    No.

Step 3.  "Have you checked if Flash... is enabled...?"
    Yes, and it is.

Step 4.  "Are you getting errors containing ActiveX issues?"
    No, but I verify that Filtering is not selected, anyway.

Step 5.  The installer ran just fine.  Flash Player is installed, or I would not be able to watch the video that does work (see above).

Step 6.  I am not getting permissions issues. 
    In fact, even the web pages that will not play video THINK that they are...  I usually get the audio stream, and my bandwidth usage meter indicates that the site is streaming more than just the audio feed.  In addition, none of these pages prompt me to download or install anything, indicating that they have detected that Flash Player is installed.

Step 7.  I click the link for "frequently occurring issues;" (http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/common-problems-flash-player.html).
  -----------------------------------------------------

New Page:  http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/common-problems-flash-player.html

Step 1.  "Check if you have the latest Flash..."
    This page does not show the graphics panel that is supposed to tell me what version of Flash is installed [Attachment #5].5. Flash Player Fail.png

Step 2.  "Check out the info on common... problems."
    In the link:  "Video and audio not playing," follow the first link at the top for Win7 (http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/837/cpsid_83715.html).  The "Flash Player Information" pane does not indicate anything:  neither the version number and operating system, nor the Flash error message--and one or the other is supposed to be run. [Attachment #6]6. Common Problems.png

Delete Flash Player browsing data
    Remove Flash Player cache
    Delete Flash Player AppData
    Deselect Harware Acceleration (had to go to a YouTube video to open the settings pane).
    **The last item on this list is "If you still have issues, report it to the Flash Player Forum.**  Back to previous page.

Step 2.  Follow link "Flash Player on 64-bit operating systems"
    (http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/000/6b3af6c9.html)  On this page, in the section "Install Flash Player," the "direct link" link is pointing to a page that is not a download page, and needs to be fixed.

Step 2.  Windows 7 Problems (http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/837/cpsid_83715.html)
    Another redundant link.

Step 7.  "Latest version of Flash Player doesn't display video."
    (http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/909/cpsid_90990.html) Links to a redundant page which I have already troubleshooted in step 2.  This link should be removed from this step.

Back to page (http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-player-windows.html)

The last step, "Still having problems?"
    Under the sub-heading, "Also see:" is a link labeled "Installation problems for Windows 7 and older."  (http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-player-windows.html)
    This is a link back to the same page, and should be deleted or redirected.

Back to the bottom of the original page (http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player.html), the last link is "Ask an expert in the forum."
=====================================================================

As an aside, the Internet Explorer previews in the taskbar are all blank.  If I have multiple web pages open, only the page that is showing on top is reflected in the task bar preview.  All other open pages are shown as blank white with the Internet Explorer logo in the middle.  Are these generated with Flash Player?  If I have multiple documents or folders open, they all preview correctly when I hover over the program icon.  Only the Internet Explorer previews are affected.

I am certain that there are sufficient clues in the information I have provided to point to a solution.  Most notably, the test programs that run on your self-help pages.  Attachments number 1 and 4 show Flash tests that return positive results, while Attachments number 2, 5, and 6 all show Flash tests that return negative or no results.  Whoever knows what is different between these two sets of Adobe tests will be able to point us in the right direction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 15, 2014 Sep 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Maria,

I don't know why your online download page now works and it wouldn't before, unless it has something to do with the fact that besides resetting all of my internet options to default, I also disabled all tracking protection lists.  This never affected me before, though.  Since I was unable to use the online installer, I have already used the offline installer, and the results were no different, as far as the usability of Flash.

Since the nature of the problem is no longer specific to actual download and install, I have re-posted this in the "Using Flash Player" forum.  Please keep working on this, though, if you can.  This problem is so "out there" that I just wanted to give it more exposure, and hopefully more interest, by posting it in the other forum, also.

All of this started before my hard drive change, when I first updated my Flash Player to version 15.0.0.152.  Since I have performed a recovery, I no longer have my logs from when I uninstalled that version prior to installing v 15.0.0.152, thus it is impossible for me to restore my system to that point.  Can I get a link to download the version just prior?  It had been working for me just fine until I uninstalled it.

Thank You,

Brett

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 16, 2014 Sep 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brett,

Thanks for the update on this.  I have asked someone else to take a look, and am waiting to hear back from them.

As for installing previous versions of Flash Player, we post previous versions to the Archived Flash Player versions page.  Scroll down, locate the version you want, download the zip archive (it contains everything from that release), then navigate into the folder with the version number.  The EXE file with 'winax' in the file name is for Internet Explorer and just 'win' is for non-IE browsers  The folder with 'debug' in the name contains player geared towards developers with debugging capabilities, so unless you're a developer, you'll want to avoid using the installers in that directory.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 22, 2014 Sep 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maria,

Hey, I was finally able to resolve this issue.  I posted the answer in the "Using" forum:  Flash Player Not Working.  I will probably never know what was causing the normal download page to not work, but if it happens again, I have more knowledge now, and will probably be able to track down what I changed that fixed it.  I  did, however, solve the issue of Flash Player not working properly after installation.

Please do not take my attitude in that post personally; you are the only person who it does NOT apply to.  You happen to be the only person who actually responded out of 2 different forums posts over a week on each, and I appreciate it.  You also did what I suggest in that answer, and tried to escalate the issue.  I guess that I cannot help it if you get ignored, also, by whoever is supposed to help you.

Thanks again,

Brett

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2014 Sep 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just spent two days on and off attempting to download Adobe Flash Player and have had to give up or have a heart attack.  Is there an alternative?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi BML,

Please begin a new thread and provide the information listed here, Read Before Posting: How To Get A Useful Answer To Your Question.

Thank you.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brett,

Nothing taken personal.  I'm sorry we weren't able to provide better assistance to you and I'm glad you were able to resolve the issue.  Hopefully others who have similar issues will find your post and find it beneficial to them.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines