• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 5.6 Slooow!!

Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2014 Jul 31, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just downloaded & installed Lightroom 5.6. It seems to be running really slow, taking 5 - 8 seconds to see any response to some commands in the develop module. For example, if I hold down the option key whilst adjusting the white levels, the on-screen response seems to lag markedly. It's a bit inconsistent as to when it happens - sometimes it's fine, sometimes it's reallly slow.

Am running on an iMac 2.7 GHz core i5 with 32 GB of ram. Never had any speed issues before with previous versions.

Wondering whether anybody else is having problems with 5.6?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 111 Replies 111
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problems on my Windows 7 PC and I haven't had this on previous versions of LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the other hand, LR 5.6 runs just fine on my 8 GB 64-bit Win 7.

Hal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lightroom 5.6

It is a shit.

The previous version was working without problems.

the new It is blocked on having synchronized a folder.

come back to the previous version.

I have windows 7 whith SSD for programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 01, 2014 Aug 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My problems with LR 5.6 being terribly slow were fixed with a simple reboot after installation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob, thanks for the tip. I am curious though if there was some long process running that actually completed by the time you did your experiment. Could I trouble you to try restoring the old code to see if the sluggishness comes back?

For example, if there was some pending or blocked sync activity that the upgrade actually fixed, you could have had a sudden torrent of background activity that bogged things down temporarily.

Julie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Julie,

I think you nailed it. Once Lr5.6 was able to finish whatever extra business it had to do during or immediately after startup (in other words: after operating with the yield in place for a while), the yield was no longer necessary (works without the yield now). I'm leaving it in though .

Lr5.6 working like a well-oiled machine now (~same as Lr5.5 - no faster nor slower that I can tell..).

Cheers,

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ciphermedia,

Have you tried going through the suggestions in this Optimization document? helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/optimize-performance-lightroom.html

Regards

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Yes it is a lot slower than the v5.5 release, have always optimized the settings.

And the annoying screen flicker when working in the grid view is back with a vengeance.

My environments are,

Win 7 x64, 8GB, 4 x Intel I7, GT 540M - 1GB, Intous 5 Tablet

Win 8.1 x64, 16GB, i7-4700MQ, GT 745M - 4GB, Intuos Pen & Touch

Hopefully it isn't affecting the Win 8.1 installation, will report back if it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Pete. Happy to give this a try - though judging from the responses from other people to this thread, I'm not sure how effective  it will be. Seems lie a number of people are having similar problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most often, the optimizations will help it run a little faster, but won't fix core problems.

In other words: when you need a big hammer, a small hammer just won't do..

~R.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case - problem found, and fixed, by strategic placement of a single LrTasks.yield statement in my plugin framework code (that which is shared by almost all of my plugins).

It seems Lr5.6 does not like repeated calls to catalog:withWriteAccessDo without yielding in between which some of my plugins were doing upon startup. Something was getting locked out for too long, and it was making Lr very cranky, even long after the fact..

Pass it on.. (to the developers..).

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just found the same thing on my 2012 i7 15" macbook pro running 16 gig ram and 500GB SSD. Changes or edits to settings were instant on 5.5 and now taking about 4-5 seconds of screen lag before applying any settings...

I've optimised all settings based on the suggestion of Pete.Green but still slow....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2014 Aug 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. I optimized. It seemed to work better for a few minutes then it was slow again. Unacceptable!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2014 Aug 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I might add that it still crashes when starting up a slide-show in the slideshow module. I thought they fixed that in this version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far, Lr5.6 has been a bum release for me too (win7/64-8GB) - can not get it to work reliably, except with a new catalog, or new prefs.

I'll keep y'all posted..

UPDATE:

=======

Summary, I:

* installed Lr5.6: problems.

* re-installed Lr5.5 - no problems.

* re-installed Lr5.6 - problems.

* re-installed Lr5.5 - no problems again.

So clearly there is something about my setup that Lr5.6 is not happy about, or vice versa if you prefer.

I'll probably try to figure out what's causing the rub, but for now I'm gonna try to get some more mileage from Lr5.5.

Problem summary: Lotsa blue spinning donut, and non-responsiveness.., instead of operating reliably.

PS - never had problems with previous updates (I've installed all of them since Lr2-beta).

=======

Cheers,

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it has not been mentioned here before:

I find that the export of pictures takes much longer than before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine wont open after update from CC. Switched of microsoft essentials and all antivirus. Still very slow and not able to work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem on OSX 10.9.4 after installing LR5.6 all tiny adjustments made will take 5-6 seconds to show, some ever longer, spiking CPU usage to 70%.

This is seriously the most frustrating and ridiculous update ever!!!!

I need to get some work done but this is making workflow utterly impossible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it get better if you turn off Lr mobile syncing? (Of course, that assumes that you have it enabled and have some collections marked for sync.)  You can stop sync activity from the ID plate menu.

Our intent is to stall syncing during develop operations, but I'm wondering if that logic is getting foiled somehow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 24, 2014 Aug 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found that, with LR Sync on, LR keeps grabbing 20-30 of the CPU. This happens even when there are no files that need synced. It seems to me that LR is constantly looking for changes, so I turn sync off, except when there are files to be synced.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's odd as other's are reporting they feel 5.6 is actually faster than 5.5**. I see that a tad on this end (totally unscientific) where in Grid, thumbnails seem to load faster. Running OS X.

**Adobe Releases Lightroom 5.6

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

5.6 feels faster all round than 5.5 on my Win 7 64 bit box, Andrew...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 04, 2014 Aug 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This user changed graphics settings and it sped up LR for his MBP: https://twitter.com/munkymorgy/status/495454509054050304

Not 100% verified yet, but worth a try. See if this setting is the one: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4110

Regards

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 14, 2014 Aug 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Late 2012 MBP 15" Retina with 8GB RAM and OSX 10.9.4 here....

just to let you know that installing the "gfxcardstatus" app and then forcing it to "Integrated Only" fixed the problems for me.

Even if this provides a fix for now, i still hope Adobe will quickly release an update and ensure such tricks aren't necessary... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines