• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to display the master TOC when using Context help in a merged document

New Here ,
Aug 22, 2014 Aug 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Robohelp 10. I have created a large Merged Webhelp project and I have set out the project master with nothing in it other than merged projects place markers.

This is the layout of the generated projects etc.

Generate

Master.htm

Redirect.htm  (Home page is a redirect to Project 1 Home Page - not in TOC)

mergedProjects

Project1

Home Page.htm

Project2

Project3 etc.

I can get the help to work great when I call up the master page, which shows the TOC for the whole project and the default home page. And from the breadcrumb the home link goes to the home page and shows the Main TOC

However when I call a page using context help ID I get a single frame with the selected page. The link to show the TOC shows the TOC but it is the top of the merged project and not the master TOC. The home link in the does display the home page but again the displayed TOC is the one of the current merged project.

The question is :

How can I get the Master TOC to show all the time regardless of what page I call using a context ID or how can I create a link that will take me back to the Master TOC?

I remember when I created a previous help file for chm output I had to modify all the ali files in order for the redirect to work throught the master chm. Surely this is not the case with webhelp?

TonyC

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 26, 2014 Aug 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take a look at: Merged Help on Peter's site. Perhaps that has an answer for you. Otherwise, I'm hoping Peter will jump in to grace us with this knowledge.

Kind regards,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 26, 2014 Aug 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use Map IDs with merged help, only because that is the way things were set up here fifteen years ago and it ain't broke yet. I believe Colum has posted on this in the past.

Parcel passed to you Colum.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 02, 2014 Sep 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a bit confused despite your fairly detailed summary of your setup. Hopefully you can help me understand what you have there and then I can help. My question is, do all the redirects go to the Home Page.htm in Project 1?

Also I could be wrong here but I believe the breadcrumbs feature is based on the TOC. So if the home page in project 1 is not in the TOC, you can not have the breadcrumbs link to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2014 Sep 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am sorry that I didn't get back to all you guys that took to answering my very promptly. Unfortunately I was not in a position to answer to the suggestions made. as I was away from my computer which had Robohelp on.

Anyway, I did try a couple of scripts mentioned, but didn't really have any success i achieving what I need to do.

I set up a redirect which redirected to the main home page. I tried setting the home page in a  main sub-project - so the redirect when from any sub project

Generate

Master-project.htm (Home Page = Help_Welcome.htm)

merged Projects

SubProject1

[Home Page =  home_redirect.htm (a redirect see below) ]

SubProject 2

SubProject 3

Clip01.jpg

home_redirect.htm  (a redirect use by sub-topics)

<!--

window.location="../../ Help_Welcome.htm ";

//-->

//]]></script>

This setup works fine as long as I call the master page. The TOC is as I would want. However if I call an ID from my application I get the required page to display and I can get the TOC to show. The problem is that the TOC is from the current sub-project and not the master project as I would want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp