• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't select or deselect in Fireworks CS6 (Mac version)

New Here ,
Dec 11, 2013 Dec 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys,

So for most of the day everything was working fine, then suddenly I can't select or deselect items. Well, technically I can by DRAGGING as I select (which is very inconvenient) but there's no work around for editing text (which requires a double-click on the object).

It sounds exactly the same as this bug posted for Fireworks CS5;

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/755820

Now, I have Spotify installed but I've restarted without it running and yesterday there were no problems with Fireworks at all... so I doubt it's Spotify related. Everything else sounds the same though.

I've restarted, un-installed and reinstalled the program and closed all media programs I can see. Still broken. Quite possibly something else is interfering with it but I have no idea what (since I haven't installed anything new)

This is preventing me from finishing a pretty important piece of work, so I'd REALLY appreciate a response.

Thanks guys

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2013 Dec 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the answer... WEIRD BUG.

It was related to the Properties bar. Any time I was trying to edit/select something aligned in the same vertical space as the properties bar, it didn't work. If I dragged something to the side of the properties bar, it works!

Here's a picture to explain...

WeirdestBugEver.jpg

Glad this is finally fixed (I minimise the bar... a bit of a cheat fix really) but still.. what the hell kind of bug is this? 😮

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 26, 2013 Dec 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got the same problem.  Come on. Adobe.  You got all the money from creative cloud and you are not willing to spend money to make sure your update doesn't break major funtciton?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2014 Jan 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was seeing the same thing and after going through Activity Monitor and quitting one thing after another I found my problem was being caused by AirServer. It must have been an update they pushed out as I've had that installed for a long time and not had the problem. I confirmed this by taking AirServer out of my startup items and rebooting the machine and Fireworks still worked as it should. Very happy to have things back to normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2014 Aug 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked! Thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2014 Aug 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, it's me again! Warboys!

I've got this error again. My Mac was wiped (left my company) and I just reinstalled everything.

When Spotify and Fireworks are open, I can't select objects by clicking. When Spotify is closed, it's fine.

Unfortunately, the solution I posted above has stopped working this time around.

Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having EXACTLY the same issue. Uninstalled and reinstalled both Fireworks and Spotify - no success!

So frustrating, I can't seem to focus without Spotify playing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have started having the same problem in the last few days. It seems Spotify have regressed the fix they originally put in place for this. I have raised the issue on the Spotify community forum and they are looking into it.

In the meantime, I recommend using the Spotify web-based player if you can: https://play.spotify.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2014 Oct 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Closing Spotify fixed my select and deselect issues.  How in the world are those related?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2014 Sep 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem but with Google Music instead of Spotify.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2014 Sep 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been fighting the same issue for a couple of weeks. I tried removing Spotify, clearing Fireworks preferences, etc. Then I opened my Activity Monitor and used that to narrow down the issue.

As soon as I quit Google Chrome, everything started working correctly in Fireworks. As long as Chrome is not open, the issue is resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2014 Sep 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow!!... Indeed it's Spotify. Weird. I reinstalled Fireworks several times before finally stumbling upon this thread. However this is it. I'm switching to Sketch for real now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2014 Sep 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turning OFF Spotify worked for me to solve this issue. So annoyed at Adobe for this whole Fireworks fiasco...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2014 Sep 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A lot of glitches in Fireworks can be solved by deleting the preferences file. First you will have to make sure your Library folder is viewable and you are accessing the root folder on your hard drive. In recent releases of Mac OS, it is hidden by default.

First, show your Hard Drive by following these directions:

1. In the Finder, choose Preferences from the Finder menu.
  2. Click the General icon on the toolbar.
  3. Select "Hard disks" in the "Show these items on the desktop:" section.
  4. Close the Finder Preferences window.

Next, you'll have to unhide the library folder by following these instructions:

In the Finder, choose View > Show View Options (or press Command-J).

Near the bottom of the resulting View-Options palette is a setting called Show Library Folder. Enable this option. Your Library folder is immediately visible.

In that folder, find the Preferences folder. Then in the preferences folder, find the file with this name (or similar): "com.adobe.Fireworks.12.0.0.plist" and delete it.

Restart your machine and Fireworks and your problem may be solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2014 Sep 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jesse for your clear instructions!

However I don't have the "Show Library Folder" in the View-Options palette.

Screen Shot 2014-09-20 at 4.07.43 PM.png

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help!!

Milly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2014 Sep 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Milly,

It appears the instructions I gave you reveal the library while you're in your root user folder (home folder). You must be in this folder for it to appear in the view options. This is your user library. There is also a system level library, which may actually not be hidden in the root folder since the hard drive root folder where it resides is usually hidden. So once you follow the instructions to show your hard disk, go to that root folder and their should be a library folder where you can find system level preference file for Fireworks. I may look for this file and delete it in both the user and system level library, then restart and launch the app. I'm not sure if it is in both folders or not. Hope this works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2014 Sep 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jesse... - What you're describing is a waste of time. This problem in this thread has nothing to do with Fireworks'@ preferences, it is to do with other running software interfering with Fireworks. Deleting the preferences file will have no effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2014 Sep 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not true. Sometimes it has to do with Spotify. Other times the deletion of preference files will work. This fix has worked for both myself and my staff multiple times, including just a few days ago. We use Fireworks almost exclusively for the work we do. Periodically, we have selection issues and are not running Spotify. This fix works every time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2014 Sep 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jesse, I work with Fireworks CS6 in both Windows and Mac, but only in the latest is where I found this issue (Just a few days ago and for the first time). I delete the file you describe some post before this and I don't have Spotify installed in this machine but nothing happend. But on my PC FW works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2014 Sep 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear that. I hope you find a solution. Are you running any other software or is any running in the background? That would be the next thing I'd check. The preference file fix worked for us on the current software just a few days ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2014 Sep 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here for the last three or four weeks: I could only drag-select, not click-select. I happen to have three versions of Fireworks installed on my MacBook (CS4, CS5 and CS6), and when the bug appeared in one, it also appeared in the other two. Closing Spotify solved the problem. Chrome has no effect one way or another on my machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2014 Oct 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you )("#€/&"#(:ing kidding me? Closing Spotify make it possible to select things in Fireworks again. How could something like this go out into production??!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Oct 04, 2014 Oct 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fireworks is no longer supported and development was halted since May 2013 (and the last version came out in 2012), so it is to be expected that it will experience more and more compatibility issues with newer operating systems.

FW is living on borrowed time: it is a dead application. When FW CS6 was released in 2012 there were no such issues - and now there are, of course. And Adobe is not going to fix things - that is the harsh reality.

It might very well stop working altogether in an upcoming version of MacOsX and Windows at some point in the near future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2014 Oct 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

unbelievable... just had to quit spotify to be able to select things again... drove me nearly insane being on a tight scedule... adobe, please, please do continue fireworks, since it is still the only tool, that riped and streamlined over the years into the swiss army knife for web and ux designers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Oct 10, 2014 Oct 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to be the bearer of ill tidings, but Adobe will NOT continue development of Fireworks. Nor will they release it in the public domain.

This is similar to what happened to Freehand - a number of Fireworks users have even set up an initiative to convince Adobe to release Fireworks as open source. Knowing Adobe and its behaviour in the past, this will never be allowed to happen.

Reality check: Fireworks is dead, gone, and will soon be dust when more compatibility issues pop up due to operating system updates.

Start looking for alternatives, lest you find yourself with a non-functioning workflow, I suggest. I did, and I loved Fireworks. Letting go is painful. But having your work potentially compromised by broken old software is worse, in my opinion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines