• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Where can I found a definitive list of JavaScript operators accepted by ExtendScript Editor

Explorer ,
Aug 25, 2014 Aug 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a JavaScript Newbie (but not a newbie programmer!) I am finding it difficult to find out which JavaScript operators are accepted by ther ExtendScript Editor. I have the latest copy of David Flanagan's JavaScript Pocket reference (I never look in the Browser part of the reference) but frequently I find a useful command that is not accepted by the Editor. The lack of an appropriate reference is considerably slowing me up.

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Aug 26, 2014 Aug 26, 2014

Just to put a tidy end to the discussion after further thought:

Use any recent JavaScript Reference - if the operator is valid the ExtendScript Editor will turn the word blue if not the operator is invalid or misspelt - the editor will also stop when it reaches an invalid operator.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you give an example of an operator the can't be used? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

alert("Hello World");

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Javascript is javascript.  Adobe Photoshop Scripting guide and Photoshop Javascript reference document Adobe Document Object Model.  All Photoshop functions can not be scripted. However  anything Photoshop can record in actions can be used in Photoshop scripts using the Action manager and the code recorded by the scriptlistener plug-in.  You can also modify scriptlistener code to add logic for scriptlistener code like actions are setp,setp,setp,setp no logic.

If you need help with a script ask questions.  These forums are not designed them be online courses. If you need to learn Photoshop Scripting there are few resources. A book or two and a few introduction tutorials on the web.  There are a few forums on Photoshop Scripting.   There are also bugs in Photoshop ScriptUI that Adobe does not fix.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To JJMack & FrameExpert.

I have two apologies to make:

1. I forgot to mention "FrameMaker".

2. The incorrect command was miss-spelt!

However my original question, slightly modified, still stands. Can I assume that all the operators in the Flanagan's book are valid for the ExtendScript Editor.

Very many thanks for the prompt replies.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 26, 2014 Aug 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to put a tidy end to the discussion after further thought:

Use any recent JavaScript Reference - if the operator is valid the ExtendScript Editor will turn the word blue if not the operator is invalid or misspelt - the editor will also stop when it reaches an invalid operator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes the next time you want to discuss something it would be a good if you wrote what it is you want to discuss instead of asking for a definitive list of Javascript operators. The forum guideline may be helpful for you to read. Community Guidelines 

for example Best practices: Usage

which includes :

Supply pertinent information for quicker answers

The more information you supply about your situation, the better equipped other community members will be to answer. Consider including the following in your question:

• Adobe product and version number
  • Operating system and version number
  • The full text of any error message(s)
  • What you were doing when the problem occurred
  • Screenshots of the problem
  • Computer hardware, such as CPU; GPU; amount of RAM; etc.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you read http://wwwimages.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/devnet/photoshop/pdfs/photoshop_scripting_guide.pdf  and http://wwwimages.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/devnet/photoshop/pdfs/photoshop_scriptref_js.pdf  you will quickly see there are many Photoshop features and filters functions the can not be programed using Javascript and Adoble DOM.  You need to learn about Adobe Plug-in Scriptlistener Installing and using the ScriptingListener plug-in

Photoshop CS3 Scripting added Plug-in support into scripting and even converted Photoshop old Plug-in Fit Images from a compiled Plug-in into an Plug-in Script "Fit Imaqge..jsx".  So you cal writ scripts that are plug-in designed to be used in Actions.  You can record Actions when you record the Action step the records the Plug-in Script step.  The Script will open its dialog. When you fill out the dialog and then click it run button the script will not only run it will also record the dialog settings you used int the action step being recorded.   When that step is played the script will bypass displaying its dialog and use the recorded settings.  However you can turn on the step dialog by checking the step dialog box.

I have used Fit Image as a model to create a couple of plug-in of my own.

Crafting Actions Package UPDATED Aug 10, 2014 Added Conditional Action steps to Action Palette Tips.
Contains

Example
Download

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,

If a user is asking about Extensdscript in the FrameMaker Scripting Forum, why do you assume that they're scripting for Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I see what you mean I don't look at the FrameMaker Scripting forum did know it even existed some something must have redirected me from the Photoshop general of scripting forums where I hang out.  Or I accidentally clicked on your thread some where and your question was about extendscript editor which is also used to edit Photoshop scripts I assumed I was in thePhotoshop Scripting forum sorry about my appends.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines