• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Still necessary for developers to delete all existing WebHelp files before updating?

New Here ,
Aug 29, 2014 Aug 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm using RoboHelp version 9.02 on my Windows 7 64-bit computer to generate a WebHelp project. Years ago, I was told to always ask developers to completely clear out the existing files in the WebHelp folder (on their end) before replacing them with updated files. In other words, when I compile the WebHelp project, I typically copy the output from the generated WebHelp folder on my hard drive, store it somewhere where a developer copies it, and then they do their magic with it on their end. I've always told them to delete the contents of the existing (older version) WebHelp folder on their end before copying in my new files. Does anyone know if this is still necessary?

I'm working with a different developer now and he just copies and pastes my newly generated files into his existing folder (without removing prior contents). Can this cause issues?

Thanks for your help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don’t clear it out, then you’re going to be left with orphaned files if you’ve made a change in your current project & got rid of some topics. It’s always safer to wipe & then copy, especially if you don’t pay attention to names & date stamps on files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. That seems like a cleaner approach to me, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Aside from the fact that there may be a bit of unwanted clutter on the server, there should be no operational issue whatsoever that you find with the developer just copying over the files.

While I do agree it will appear "cleaner", it's not going to harm anything. And really, if that's the case, I'd probably advise you to avoid any confrontations over it. If it makes him or her happier to just copy the files over, go with the flow and allow it. You never will know how that simple action may "grease the wheels" for future interactions where you need the support of the developer!

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to know it won't harm anything-- thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True, but if you’ve got a sloppy developer who says – “I’ve already got a whwhatever.js in this folder, I don’t need to replace it” & Adobe’s updated that file for some important security patch – who’s going to be blamed? (LOL)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

LOL, nice try, Jeff.

I say that because if a developer is "sloppy", that likely also means lazy. And by that, it's most likely (at least to me) that they are simply looking for the simple approach of just copying the total swarm of output files over to the server.

The fact the thread seems to initially ask about the need for deleting the files first seems the developer is wanting to avoid that unnecessary step because it's extra work. And it would be tons of extra work to try and isolate the files that never change or whatever. No?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp