• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Please don't put MacAffee permission/notification down on page so short laptop screens don't show it

New Here ,
Apr 11, 2013 Apr 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot see the reference to MacAffee inclusion until AFTER I click to update my flash player!  Tricks like this are beneath you.  I have security already/.  I even upsized my laptop [purchase, yet the screen is just as short as the last...just like when TVs switched to diagonal measurements--we bought larger TVs yet they were smaller...now the computers played a similar game and things like toolbars shrink the content right off the page--tho the sides are all warted empty space!  If you want permission to include something else with your product, include the request up above the button we click.  Otherwise you engender much resentment and anger...how many nights have I sat waiting for a technical support person in India to help me delete some crap I never wanted that has stopped my real player streaming, switched my search engine...added another security scan on top of the one I pay for....?  Honesty and trust is rewarded.  TY.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2014 Aug 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely. Very annoying and shady. Things like this don't do you any honour Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now they have found the definitive solution: NOT to include the MacAffee inclusion permission at all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "Optional offer" is actually quite on top of the page:

fp_mcafee.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. I installed the latest Flash Player update yesterday using Mozilla Firefox 31.0 on a Lenovo Thinkpad E530 running Windows 7 64bit. I didn't see the Optional Offer Section (it was empty). I was quite annoyed to see the automatic installation of MacAffee, already having antivirus/firewall software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If that happens again, can you take & post a screenshot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2018 Aug 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have time to take a screen shot because it installs MacBarfee first and it's quick. Almost 3/4 done by the time the screen changes. As far as I'm concerned MacBarfee is a virus. It's just absolute junk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't show that screen on my computer. It jumps directly into the installation. I'm beginning to hate adobe. They're almost as bad as Win-doze.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If MacBarfee was any good they wouldn't have to force it on you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 03, 2018 Sep 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

McAfee is an optional third party software.  There is a checkbox, in the middle panel to un-check the offer.

If you're not seeing the middle panel, it's possibly being blocked by ad-blocker, disabled Javascript or similar.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't make the default to install MacAfee. I don't want it, I don't need it. I have had BAD experience with it. I have a GOOD security suite and don't want anything to do with MacAfee.

When I click the download button to download the update to Adobe the MacAfee is already about 3/4 installed before I can do anything.

Make it separate operations so that if someone wants MacAfee they would need to actually select it to be downloaded before it will download.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your valuable feedback!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 10, 2018 Sep 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Given the age of this thread, I'm going to lock it so that the original posters don't continue to receive email notifications.

For better or worse, the bundled offers pay the bills.  I've posted extensive explanations which you can find in my activity history, but the bottom line is that while Flash Player is free, Adobe is a for-profit corporation.

While I'd love to live in a post-scarcity Start Trek style meritocracy, that day seems very remote.  In the meantime, we don't have the luxury of just spending money without generating income, and maintaining and distributing Flash Player is a tremendously complex and expensive undertaking.

At the end of the day, we pay business experts to research, identify and implement the most effective business strategy, and this is hands-down the approach that yields the best results.  It’s also the case that those bundled offers keep me employed, and it would be disingenuous to just blame it on the business people.

The truth is, a sufficient number of people find enough value in the bundled offers that they ultimately spend money with those sponsors, who in turn see value in partnering with us, which in turn keeps us supplied with engineers, servers, bandwidth and coffee.  It’s an imperfect solution for an imperfect world.

That said, you actually *do* have a few options at your disposal in terms of avoiding this prompt:

1.) Enable automatic updates. 

You do not get prompted for background updates.  We actually forego the revenue opportunity to ensure that you're always updated with the latest security patches.

2.) Use Google Chrome or Internet Explorer/Edge on Windows 8 and higher

These browser partners contribute directly to the Flash ecosystem in multiple ways, and distribute Flash Player as built-in components of their browsers.  There's nothing separate to download or install, and Flash Player is automatically kept updated via either the Chrome updater or Windows Update, respectively.

3.) Uninstall Flash Player

While probably not the optimal answer, you can always opt-out of participating in the ecosystem. 

I've included links to our uninstallers below, for your convenience:

Uninstall Flash Player - Mac:

https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-mac-os.html

Uninstall Flash Player - Windows:

https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines