• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to resize from 16:9 to 4:3

Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2014 Sep 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's just it and the only thing I want to do. I'm exporting them to a folder on my computer to use for different sites and needs them to be 4:3 for those sites. I tried in export to 1000:750, but both were resized equally. I unticked don't enlarge, but it still didn't work. Using Photoshop for this just isn't very efficient.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you crop them to 4:3 before you exported them?

A 16:9 image will need to have 25% of its horizontal pixels cropped off before it will export at as 4:3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, I just wanted it to resize in lightroom because it's more efficient. Doing it in Photoshop will have to be one by one don't it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resizing will distort the picture - compressing it horizontally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Volvenom wrote:

ok, I just wanted it to resize in lightroom because it's more efficient. Doing it in Photoshop will have to be one by one don't it?

You do not want to resize, you want to crop. This is true whether you do it in Photoshop or Lightroom.

There is no auto-crop in either Photoshop or Lightroom that will guarantee that important parts of your picture won't be cut off. You see, artistically, you may want photo 1 to have the right edge of the photo cropped, and you may want photo 2 to have the left of of the photo to be cropped, and so on. Yes, you can have Lightroom crop all the photos exactly the same, but it's unlikely that will give you good results if the example I just stated is true for your photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In photoshop I just squash it from 1920:1080 to 1000:750

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been doing this before. It's just digital and the usual thing for me is to change settings on the program screen to 4:3, I was just hoping I could get a better quality this way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your choices are to:

1. Crop to the correct aspect before exporting

2. Export and live with the non-4:3 aspect

3. Use a program like PS to create white space to fill in the gaps left by not cropping it 4:3 in the first place.

4. Resize and distort in a program like PS.  Lightroom doesn't allow you to distort.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

16:9 and 4:3 or two completely different aspect ratios. In order to get a normal looking image from the 16:9, you will have to crop the image to that aspect ratio. Otherwise, your image will be severely distorted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see where you want to go with this, and I would agree with a photo from real life, but this is just virtual. Nothing is real, so the comparison won't be there. It's also what people do, so no one will bother. To go with a screen with a resolution of 16:9 the game has to be stretched, so what looks right might actually be the 4:3 ratio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks anyway I just realized that stretching it to 16:9 may not be a good idea after all. Both for the look and the functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines