• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is Webhelp generated from Robohelp 11 supported on Mac?

Sep 02, 2014 Sep 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have generated our Webhelp projects from RoboHelp 11. These display fine in Firefox on Windows. However, when viewing them on a Mac OS X version 10.9.2 with Firefox 28, an unresponsive script warning is encountered which cannot be resolved. Also, there is a lot of padding in the Index between the text field and the index entry. Screenshots are provided to show both of these issues.

When viewed on Safari on the same Mac machine the Webhelp project is simply unresponsive.

Is this a known issue with Mac OS X?

Screenshot1.png

Screenshot2.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 02, 2014 Sep 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried checking that the browser is supporting JavaScript?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Sep 03, 2014 Sep 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A good question.

I checked and yes JavaScript is enabled for the Firefox browser on the Mac machine. So that doesn't appear to be the problem here.

So a couple of additional details.

Browsing the TOC seems to work fine. The Search functionality also seems to be fine.

What causes this issue is the Index. And even more specifically, I seem to be able to use the Index alright, clicking on a term, searching for terms, and so on. The problem only arises if I reach the end of the Index. This includes both scrolling to the end of the index, or typing Z which would of course scroll all the way down to the end of the Index.

I retested this scenario on my Windows computer and Firefox, and I do not see the issue. So it seems to be specific to the Mac machine.

I can also provide the line of code it seems to be reaching an error on in the whhost.js file if that would be helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to this thread - https://forums.adobe.com/message/6088831#6088831 – Safari only works with iOS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fair enough, but this is also happening on Firefox. (version 28 is what is installed on the Mac machine)

So the line of code it is failing on is the following:

while(document.body.scrollTop!=oldScrollPos)

For the full context, this line of code is in the following if statement.

if(!gbScrl&&gbMac)

{

while(document.body.scrollTop!=oldScrollPos)

document.body.scrollTop=oldScrollPos;

}

Not sure what this does, but looks like it is related to scrolling and Mac support.

So what I also did was I removed this if statement entirely from whhost.js. Low and behold I no longer receive this issue either on Firefox or Safari on my Mac machine. So this seems to have "fixed" this issue, but I am always hesitant to make such manual changes as I do not know what other problems this could cause. Any idea why this code would cause this problem and if it is safe to remove it? Not sure that I know how to reverse engineer this one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry, no idea either – I’m no .js master like Willam ;>)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp