• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why was McAfee installed without requesting my permission?

New Here ,
Nov 20, 2013 Nov 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Usually when installing Flash Player, I can uncheck the boxes to ensure I don't get that junk installed, but when installing the latest update today, it installed it without requesting permission or even informing me of it, I didn't agree to McAfee, so why was it forced upon me?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's an update link that installs it with no opt out. It's been reported months ago. It has also been suggested that Adblockers will hide the "opt out" on the download page as an ad, but I tested this morning and it made no difference if I disabled AdBlock or not.

You can download the Adobe Flash Player installers directly by right clicking one (or both) of the following links.

Flash Player for ActiveX (Internet Explorer)

Flash Player Plug-in (All other browsers)

I use those to avoid any bundled software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the links, I don't use adblock so it can't have been that, just really surprised there was no opt out or even a mention of it until I was told it was downloading.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 03, 2014 Sep 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This horrible behaviour still exist september 3, 2014 !!

I today got a request to update Flashplayer on my computer, Windows 7 64 bit.

It downloads a file and executing that DOES NOT GIVE ME ANY OPTION TO AVOID MCAFFEE!!

I did abort the installation, and I'm very thankfull that I have choosen to be notified of updates for me to install.

This is very bad, an extra layer of not wanted antivirus software can hurt both system stability and performance.

I do hope that this is an misstake that is adressed in timely manner for customers and notified to top management.

Kind regards

Erik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 03, 2014 Sep 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The real question is why a reputable and respected software company like Adobe is involved in a cheap trick like sneaking software you probably don't want onto your machine unless your are hypervigilant every time you accept an update.  They should be ashamed of themselves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines