• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"RAM preview needs 2 or more frames to render playback" AE CC

New Here ,
Feb 21, 2014 Feb 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue started out of nowhere for what I consider to be no reason. Working on average sized 720p compositions with modest animations.

I have tried all suggested solutions on this forum yet nothing has worked. I am running fresh comps in AE CC with absolutely no plugins, freshly purged memory, cleaned cache, restarted comp, no other applications running on computer and 13 gb of memory allocated to AE... etc.

I cannot seem to fix this issue.

Whats the next step?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Sep 07, 2014 Sep 07, 2014

Note that the memory leak with audio scrubbing is listed as fixed in the upcoming update:

http://adobe.ly/1pFGGRE

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris Dowsett wrote:

Whats the next step?

Providing info to help us troubleshoot. This info, for a start. I mean, we don't know what version of AE CC you're using or even what OS you're using.

Wait, have you tried turning it off and back on again? A cold restart of your cpu can fix this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great first step. Thanks for the heads up.

2.5 GHz Intel Core i7

OSX 10.9.1

16GB RAM

AE CC 12.2.1.5

Problem exists at all times.

Temporarily solved the issue by changing the allocated RAM from 11gb to 13gb but went back to happening after 20 or so renders

Have tried:

Purging cache

Restarting comp

Closing all other apps

Creating new comps with no plugins/effects etc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Show a screenshot of your Memory & Multiprocessing preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 17, 2014 Mar 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo everybody,

I've the same problems with AE CC 10.12.1.5.

I'm on Mac Osx Mavericks with 24 GB RAM, 2,8 Ghz Intel COre i5, ATI Radeon HD5750 1024mb.

These are my Memory setting:

Screen Shot 2014-03-17 at 08.09.19.png

I used in this project RAW sequence files.

Please help.

Many thanks!

Was this helpful? Yes                                                                              No

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Theiamania wrote:

Hallo everybody,

I've the same problems with AE CC 10.12.1.5.

CC isn't version 10. Did you mean you have version 12.1? If so, you should update to 12.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry,  AE CC 12.2.1.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2014 Apr 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

Not sure if any of you are still having problems, but a quick fix would be turning your "Multiprocessing Off."

After Effects > Preferences > Memory & Multiprocessing

Uncheck the box that says "Render Multiple Frames Simultaniously"

This should allow you to RAM preview without receiving the warning. If you still are having problems, I'm curious as to how much RAM you have available for Ae? You can find this number in the same location under "Memory & Multiprocesing." I'm still receiving this message on my home machine (where I only have 6GB alloted) and not on my work machine (where I have 18GB allotted). So my thought is that more RAM will fix this issue.

--

Mack Garrison

mackgarrison.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 02, 2014 Jul 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem with CC 2014. And That setting is off. I have 16 GB RAM allotted for AE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 08, 2014 Jul 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To me, turning off Multicore Processing is NOT an acceptable solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2014 Jul 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your anti virus. Mine had blocked access to Adobe Dynamic Link, as soon as I allowed access, it works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 25, 2014 Jul 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The After Effects team are investigating a bug in After Effects CC 2104 (13.0) where a memory leak occurs while scrubbing audio (holding down the CTRL or Command key while scrubbing). This memory leak can eventually consume all free RAM, which can lead to the warning message "After Effects error: RAM Preview needs 2 or more frames to playback" when you try to initiate a RAM preview.

While we investigate this problem, you can avoid the bug and memory leak by not scrubbing with audio. When the problem occurs you can resolve it by closing and restarting After Effects.

http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2014/07/warning-ram-preview-needs-2-or-more-frames-aft er-scrubb...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 04, 2014 Aug 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please fix ASAP! I'm doing a project where I must scrub audio a lot, and it's making CC 2014 very difficult to use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2014 Sep 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"While we investigate this problem, you can avoid the bug and memory leak by not scrubbing with audio"

Argh!!!!!!!!!

Very much like @GalenFott above, I'm doing an entire Lipsyncing project. Do you have any progress on this? I used to have it way back in the old days but not for ages and now having gone up to CC and then to CC2014 I'm stymied and I've got a serious deadline on Monday.  I can't restart every few minutes.

I've never had this before and I've done a heap loads of lipsyncing before... really this is terrifying. Is there anyone I can contact about this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have a fix in testing now. We intend to release an update with this fix and others in about a month.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right! It's got a little bit worse... After the 'RAM preview needs 2 or more frames' window I purged then restarted and all was back on track for about 5 minutes, then it happened again and then the following series of warnings have locked AE in a cycle of warnings...

Below is the series of warnings I've just received followed by my memory and cache settings and then the memory left on my computer.

aFTER eFFECTS_MEMORY_CRASH_Capture_2.JPG

then

aFTER eFFECTS_MEMORY_CRASH_Capture_3.JPG

my memory settings

aFTER eFFECTS_MEMORY_CRASH_Capture_4.JPG

my cache settings

aFTER eFFECTS_MEMORY_CRASH_Capture_5.JPG

and the memory left on my computer

aFTER eFFECTS_MEMORY_CRASH_Capture_6.JPG

The file is 'just' a series of After Effects solids with masks (about 40), rigged together with Duik IK (not the puppet tool thing just the one that links layers together) and some wavs for the sound file.

Like I say I've probably done hours of lipsyncing over the last 15 years with far far heavier files (using HD footage and a far bigger comp with psd files) and I certainly haven't had this kind of persistent problem and it's only since I installed CC2014 last week...

grrrr and arrrrgh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jimlefevre wrote:

I'm doing an entire Lipsyncing project. Do you have any progress on this? I used to have it way back in the old days but not for ages and now having gone up to CC and then to CC2014 I'm stymied and I've got a serious deadline on Monday.  I can't restart every few minutes.

Then I would suggest you use CC for the part where you're lip syncing then only open your project in CC 2014 when you need to use some of the new features. And, since you've already done a lot of work in CC 2014, you will be happy to know that CC 2014 can save back to version CC. (Also, if you've uninstalled CC, you can reinstall it from the cloud software, see here: Creative Cloud Help | Install, update, or uninstall apps.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 07, 2014 Sep 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note that the memory leak with audio scrubbing is listed as fixed in the upcoming update:

http://adobe.ly/1pFGGRE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 10, 2014 Sep 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When is it being released? Cuz i feel pretty f'd now. I just bought the whole CC yesterday and first thing i get is this error.. ffs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@LeroyFilon  - agree, it's really galling isn't it... however..! I seem to have managed to get things working a little better by chasing down a quicktime movie that was buried in my sound comp (and which I was using for sound not visuals) and converted it to a .wav, imported that, replaced the .mov with the wav and deleted the mov from the project (and then restarted!) and I haven't had the warning since.

That may not be useful at all as you may be needing the visual side to it.

How massively frustrating though. After Effects really is an incredible tool but when something like this happens it really dents your confidence in it which is silly considering how utterly amazing it is.

Absolutely doesn't stop me from swearing my head off though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leroy Filon wrote:

When is it being released?

I just bought the whole CC yesterday and first thing i get is this error..

Soon. According to posts from Adobe, it will be sometime within the next month or two. The last time they announced an update in early September, the release came about a month later.

This is not a critical bug, however. I know it may seem like one, but hold on for the workaround:

If you're needing to do scrubbing with audio that causes the RAM leak, simply use CC instead of CC 2014 for that kind of work. It's easy to install previous versions with the CC app. Creative Cloud Help | Install, update, or uninstall apps

You can easily move projects back a version if need be by choosing "Save As CC" in CC 2014. I have four versions of AE installed on my home system at the moment for reasons of compatibility with clients and forum users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2014 Oct 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Experiencing same problem - Any word on the update release. It's unbearable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2014 Oct 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still happening on AE 2014.1.1 for mac (10.8.5) I restarted, repaired permissions, purged, reseted PRAM and repaired the volume and the problem is still going on.

I have 16gb with 10 allocated to AE, Macbook Pro Ret display.

Update:

I tried the same project today on my iMac, running 10.9.5 with 32gb and the problem is still there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 26, 2014 Aug 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get this problem when attempting to render keyable image sequences with no background behind them. My workaround has been to put a solid on the bottom layer with an opacity of 0.1% and then it works. This is a problem that Adobe has never resolved, and that is why I have to resort to such a hack. I am using AE CC, latest update, Multiprocessing is turned off, OS 10.9.2, 16gb on the latest Mac Pro. It has nothing to do with RAM, which OS you're using, or version of the software. It's a bug in AE that has never been fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 11, 2014 Sep 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can add me to the list.  AE CC 2014, hits around 21 GB of Ram, then I get the "2 frames" error and can't purge.  And yes, it definitely seems connected to audio scrubbing.  Sure, restarting takes 10 seconds, but its QUITE the annoying bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines